Right attachemtns:Tiller or tiller+disc

/ Right attachemtns:Tiller or tiller+disc #11  
I am seriously considering the Deere 4300 with the brush hog and tiller. The deere disk is too big for the 4300.

I did cut the feed corn with brush hog. It's at least flat now. Just not sure the tiller will get the land clean for seeding.

I am trying to do everything myself without begging any of the bigtime farmers to disk for me.

So I am hoping if I pass with the tiller 2 or 3 time. It will work.

p.s. I don't know what a mold board plow is and nor do I know if I can get it for my compact. Given that I have limited storage space having one less implement is great.

/ Right attachemtns:Tiller or tiller+disc #12  
<font color=red>p.s. I don't know what a mold board plow is and nor do I know if I can get it for my compact</font color=red>

When you think of a old time farmer plowing his feild, that it what he is using. I have one for my garden tractor, so I would think they would make one for yours.

/ Right attachemtns:Tiller or tiller+disc #13  
<font color=blue>don't know what a mold board plow is </font color=blue>

A moldboard plow is the same thing as what we always called a "turning plow"; just rolls the dirt over to the right. Actually I think the word "moldboard" means the bolted on piece of metal that contacts the dirt whether you're talking about a turning plow (also sometimes known as a "breaking plow" for breaking new ground) or a middle buster (rolls the dirt both directions, leaving a trench and also known as a "potato plow"). Whew . . ., sometimes this terminology gets confusing./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif And yes, you can do the job just with multiple passes with a tiller; that's all I used for my garden the first couple of years when I first started it. You just get deeper, quicker if you plow it up first.

/ Right attachemtns:Tiller or tiller+disc #14  
Ditto what Bird said. If I didn't have the plow or the disk I'd just make multiple passes with the tiller.

<font color=red>I don't know what a mold board plow is </font color=red>
Here is a picture of a mold board plow.
a_mbplrg.jpg

And a link to Howse's mold board plow page:
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.howseimplement.com/Tillage_Equipment/Mold_Board_Plow/mold_board_plow.html>http://www.howseimplement.com/Tillage_Equipment/Mold_Board_Plow/mold_board_plow.html</A>

Later
Mark

/ Right attachemtns:Tiller or tiller+disc #15  
Thanks again.. I now know what one is... Since I am new to all this I think I am going to stick to JD attachments and as few as possible.

Best

/ Right attachemtns:Tiller or tiller+disc #16  
sagaponack1,

<font color=blue>SOAPBOX</font color=blue> You should register and fill out your profile. It gives TBNers some idea as to how they can help. <font color=blue>OFF SOAPBOX</font color=blue>

As far as sticking to Deere implements, please shop around. Deere does not make that many ground engagement implements for its compacts. Ask you dealer what other manufacturers he deals with. You can find some decent implements from some of the smaller manufacturers - Leinbach, Woods, Landpride, etc.

If you can, try to purchase as many implements as possible along with your tractor. It gives you some bargaining power.

Terry

/ Right attachemtns:Tiller or tiller+disc #17  
Absolutely, Don’t do anything you aren’t comfortable with. You can add implements as you go along.

Later
Mark

/ Right attachemtns:Tiller or tiller+disc #18  
Thanks for the advice. Here is what I am negotiating on from the dealer.

JD 4300
JD 430 FEL
JD rotary cutter 60 inch
JD tiller (I think 60")
JD Seeder (I think it is called 1100)

I was told that it is easier to connect the JD implements to JDs than using non jd Implements. Is this true?

Doesn't JD call it quick-attach or something?

Rob

/ Right attachemtns:Tiller or tiller+disc #19  
Sounds like the dealer is just trying to get you to buy JD stuff from him. It absolutely not true that you need to buy all JD implements. The only thing you listed that qualifies as a JD quick attach would be the FEL. Other than that, you can shop around. There have been posts about the JD 413 rotary cutters. The quality is not as good as other manufacturers for the same price or less. As far as a tiller, the JD's are expensive for what you get. Look at Woods, Landpride, King Cutter, etc. As far as the seeder, I am not familiar enough with them to comment.

Terry

/ Right attachemtns:Tiller or tiller+disc #20  
I agree with Terry, unless you want to add a front blade. Any 3 point equipment will work on any tractor provideing there sized right. I do have a 2 row dempster plantall for $200 for sale, howe does that compare to your new JD one?
DDT