right implement for brush removal

/ right implement for brush removal #11  
RollingsFarms said:
would a 4-in-1 bucket be just as effective as a grapple?
IMO, no. They'll typically hold only about 1/2 as much. A grapple takes a VERY BIG bite of brush and then compacts it down as the grapple closes. A 4-in-1 has a "mouth" that's only a fraction of the size of an open grapple.

IMO, 4-in-1's can be pretty effective at handling the treetrunks, but not the brush...

IMO, there's a couple of advantages of grapples over open forks, also, in addition to just less loose stuff falling off/out:

1) You can carry "out-of-balance" loads, where there's more weight hanging out one side of the grapple than out of the other side. With forks, the stuff must be balanced, or it will fall off the side... As long as you're not at risk of tipping the tractor on its side, with a grapple you can carry loads that are WAY out of balance, if necessary (not that its a good practice to do...).

2) You can "grasp" things and move them quickly, so you can get a better grip to carry them off. For example, you can grasp a treetrunk from the end and pull the tree out of the woods, then pick up the pick up the tree from the side and carry it off. You can also do some grubbing of small stuff with them, by driving the bucket into the ground underneath, using the grapple to grasp the trunk, then using bucket lift and curl to pull the sapling out, roots and all...

/ right implement for brush removal #12  
Dave246 said:
I am clearing a small amount of land...but each load is about as large as I see in other photos. A friend of mine built for me a pair of forks that fit right on the bucket and chain around the back. I've attached a couple of pics of the brush piles they are capable of picking up. They never loosen up or move around on the bucket. I've picked up loads that are as heavy as my FEL can lift and they don't bend the bucket or break. IMO this type of fork is as good and cost effective as you can have. They are made from 2" square stock. Because I have the bucket behind them, I am able to drive right into a brush pile and pick it up all at once. They also slide right under a fallen tree and pick it up to move it. Occasionally I have to cut off a part of a tree in order to balance the load...IMO this is the only place a grapple would help, but at a much larger cost. I also use them to pick up the ends of larger trees to chunk up with my chain saw. A fair night's work to build, but not too costly. Just my opinion.

Looks like they work pretty well and I sure could use your idea at my place. However I would be a little concerned about no ballast on the rear. Could be just an illusion but you look like there is a lot of weight our in front of the bucket that could cause things to be a little unstable.

/ right implement for brush removal
Okay what i have decide to do is build a set of brush forks simliar to what i have found looking around here. They will extend 24" past the bucket and have 7 tines. I think this will be the best solution for my situation

/ right implement for brush removal #14  
KentT said:
IMO, no. They'll typically hold only about 1/2 as much. A grapple takes a VERY BIG bite of brush and then compacts it down as the grapple closes. A 4-in-1 has a "mouth" that's only a fraction of the size of an open grapple.

IMO, 4-in-1's can be pretty effective at handling the treetrunks, but not the brush...

IMO, there's a couple of advantages of grapples over open forks, also, in addition to just less loose stuff falling off/out:

1) You can carry "out-of-balance" loads, where there's more weight hanging out one side of the grapple than out of the other side. With forks, the stuff must be balanced, or it will fall off the side... As long as you're not at risk of tipping the tractor on its side, with a grapple you can carry loads that are WAY out of balance, if necessary (not that its a good practice to do...).

2) You can "grasp" things and move them quickly, so you can get a better grip to carry them off. For example, you can grasp a treetrunk from the end and pull the tree out of the woods, then pick up the pick up the tree from the side and carry it off. You can also do some grubbing of small stuff with them, by driving the bucket into the ground underneath, using the grapple to grasp the trunk, then using bucket lift and curl to pull the sapling out, roots and all...

I completely agree with Kent's comments.

/ right implement for brush removal #15  
This is what I use for serious "stuff" moving. It is four forks with a log grapple that I tied together with some 3/16". Will take quite a load.:)

Attachments

• Brush setup.jpg
    Brush setup.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 360
   / right implement for brush removal #16  
Maybe you can post a photo of what you have to clean up to make it a bit clearer as to what would be the most effective? I have a WR Long Grapple and used it quite a bit today but I am still a bit green. I find that if my tree, root, branch piles are mixed with dirt and old it's difficult to carry and does leave a large mess in my tracks. If the piles are stacked well and free of most dirt the grapple can't be beat.

Much of my debris is roots, vines, small trees, tree tops, and branches. Still don't know the best way to use the grapple but I think making large piles then giving the grapple a mouthfull for transport to a burn area is going to be best. Picking up small things and moving far is not a good job for a grapple, you will lose it.

/ right implement for brush removal #17  
You'd have a hard time beating the convience of a grapple to remove brush.

Here's a couple pics of my grapple setup. A true grapple setup will grab a much larger bite since the sides of my bucket tend to push the brush, but the other functions of this grapple far outweigh the smaller bite. (Grip, Lift, Rip, Sift, Sort, Rake & Spread)

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0104-copy.jpg
    IMG_0104-copy.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 242
   / right implement for brush removal #18  
SCRich said:
making large piles then giving the grapple a mouthfull for transport to a burn area is going to be best. Picking up small things and moving far is not a good job for a grapple, you will lose it.

I totally agree. I will stop to pick up the occasional single branch with the grapple but it is far more effectively used for piles of brush or for ripping out the brush directly.

Attachments

• IMG_8972-pick-up-sticks-app.jpg
    IMG_8972-pick-up-sticks-app.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_8973-pick-up-sticks-mou.jpg
    IMG_8973-pick-up-sticks-mou.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 262
  • Photo_052806_003.jpg
    Photo_052806_003.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 233
   / right implement for brush removal #19  
J.meyers said:
I have ten acres in central Mi. and the soil is sand. I own a Kioti CK 25 w/K130 FEL. I am very pleased with my tractor, but the previous property owners dropped the trees for the 1/4 mile driveway and left them where they hit the ground. So i have many trees from 1" to 12" along with all of the limbs that have acumilated over the years that i want to move an d burn/chip(not much is good for firewood as it is rotted).
I am very close to oredering a toothbar but was wondering if there is a better implement to use

Good luck on your search, but rather than burn, I would prefer to just pile up and leave it for wildlife. Welcome to TBN.

/ right implement for brush removal #20  
Just Grapple it!

Attachments

• WheresTheTractor (Medium).JPG
    WheresTheTractor (Medium).JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 257
  • BunchOPines (Medium).JPG
    BunchOPines (Medium).JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 270
  • BigMouth (Medium).JPG
    BigMouth (Medium).JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 268