Ballast Right Rear Tire Ballast Fluid Leaked! What Do I Do?

/ Right Rear Tire Ballast Fluid Leaked! What Do I Do?
Well now, now that I have had all these great suggestions and some time to think about the alternatives for ballasting the rear of my tractor, I have decided the best way for me to go for the long haul is to go with a combination of hardware wheel weights and a ballast box or heavy implement on my 3PH.

The reason for my decision is that I was thinking that even with Rim Guard in the tires you always have the chance of a puncture or a stem getting damaged and everytime that happens it leads to the expense of replacing the lost ballast. Even running tubeless with Rim Guard I would still have to replace the lost ballast on any tire problem that would cause a leak.

Leaking tires may not be a common problem but some may have more problems with it than others depending on circumstances such as working environment, the way the tractor is used and maybe even plain bad luck.

I figure in the long run weights would be a more troublefree solution as I could run tubeless and not have to worry about any leaking fluid and repairs would be way less costly if needed.Yes the initial cost would be a bit expensive but less costly in the long run as jenkinsph stated in his earlier post.

I plan to keep this tractor for a long time so I think it makes sense for me to go ahead with the hardware rear wheel weights for this machine. I am later planning to add a John Deere 4720 with cab for my bigger jobs and winter snow removal but my 3038e will stay with me for the long haul as well. When I do get my other machine I am going to do the same thing as far as ballast is concerned. Overall way less of a headache than dealing with liquid ballast IMO.

I think that it was pretty cheap on my dealership's part to not support me at all on this and refill the bad tire and I will do no more buisness with that particular dealership. I am still not done at this point and I am still going through with contacting John Deere Corprate over this, not expecting anything from them but maybe they will have a little talk with that dealership over respecting & treating their customers better. I could care less now about getting the ballast topped off anyway as I plan to get rid of it altogether but what ticks me off is that no offer of support was given at all in my situation from the dealership whatsoever. Makes me wonder what they will do for me if a major issue arises.

Thanks to all who have been so helpful to me on this thread and I hope this thread can help others here who have or may later have ballast issues. The suggestions here have been very good and I know others here will benefit from this thread in the future. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Right Rear Tire Ballast Fluid Leaked! What Do I Do? #32  
So glad the replies helped, and I don't envy your experience and I think the dealership s------d you over. When I purchased my 4210 the salesman offered to load the rear tires for free but I didn't want the possible headache of leaking tires and I'd only need the additional ballast on the rears for maybe 5% of my tractor usage if that much. Wheel weights and rear ballasting are more time consuming and expensive but much easier to remove than liquid tire weight and a lot less troublesome. When I need to ballast an implement I use barbell weights I got at a thrift store, they sell for maybe 25 cents a pound and are easy to install and stack, just use quality grade half inch bolts to install them.