Tractor Sizing Right size tractor for small square baler

/ Right size tractor for small square baler #11  
I have a JD 5045E . With loaded tires and loader on it goes about 7000 lbs which is enough to control a square baler and kick wagon combo but the 37 PTO Hp is a bit light. For ease and speed of production when you need it I'd order a 5065E with loader and loaded rear tires and have a very capable set up.

/ Right size tractor for small square baler #12  
I am sort of in the same category. I'd like to do some farming, but the 20something PTO hp on the lightweight CUT just wont cut it. It has sort of fallen short in several areas over the years, but its what we have and all the current attachments are sized for it. Were I shopping for a new tractor, I'd say at least 50hp, but since There is what there already, a larger replacement tractor and re-upping all the attachments we use all the time would never pay for itself.
I have been giving some thought to turning 4x4 pickup into a tractor. I figure I could do some sort of slide-in that might lock into the trailer hitch with a dedicated engine for PTO and maybe hydraulics. I could probably get a big old used tractor for less (just a 38hp Kohler goes for about $2500), but I am thinking about it.

When hay was going for $100 a round bale during the Texas drought (well we are not over that yet) I investigated balers for my CUT.
Mini Hay Balers and Compact Hay Balers | Small Farm Innovators

Right outside of Caldwell, TX a gentleman has a good array of haying equipment for CUT equipment.

/ Right size tractor for small square baler #13  
My Massey Ferguson 124 baler (small squares, two twine) requires 35 hp (pto) minimum according to the operator manual. I've seen balers this size run with much smaller tractors like the Farmall Super A that has only about 15 hp (pto) -- the really low cost approach.

FARMALL Super A - YouTube
(the baler part is about 6 minutes into this video).

Good luck.

/ Right size tractor for small square baler #14  
You could easily[?] plow 20 acres with a pair of good MULEs, yea 2 HP, if you work at it, now we are told we require 60 HP and $$$$$$ spent for the 20 acres.
Where is the payback for investing 30K into USED equipment for 20 acres of HAY?
From a practical standpoint most of the farmers in the south east US plowed 40 acres family farms with 420, 430 JD 25HP of 600 Fords at about the same HP, and Super A farmalls when folks in the south east made their income from family farming.
A big heavy machine was farmall M at 45 HP or so.
Another issue is spending revenue on a bailer for only 20 acres, no payback there.
Start with a barn for storage because the equipment will rust away before you wear it out.

/ Right size tractor for small square baler #16  
Another issue is spending revenue on a bailer for only 20 acres, no payback there.

I bought a NH 273 baler last spring for $1100 at auction, to replace an MF 124 that gave me 25 years of virtually trouble-free service. I had bought the MF 124 for $600 at auction. I only have about 10 acres in hay. The NH 273 basically paid for itself after the first cut last summer. I got about 900 small squares from 2 cuts last year. That's 900 square bales I didn't have to buy.

/ Right size tractor for small square baler #17  
Start with a barn for storage because the equipment will rust away before you wear it out.

My NH 273 was obviously stored inside by the previous owner. It is in mint condition and I intend to keep it that way! My 124 had to live outside and corrosion is part of the reason it needed replacing.