Right Tractor for Woods RM990?

/ Right Tractor for Woods RM990? #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( IMHO, the 990 is the only thing Woods builds that is worth buying. )</font>
That opinion is based on over 10 years experience periodically installing, assembling and servicing Woods equipment at two dealerships that carry Woods as a shortline. As well as dealing with Woods on warranty, design, shipping and supply issues. In addition to working with customers to help them optimize the performance of their purchase. Woods builds and sells a lot of stuff; many folks like it very much. I just happen to think the total package of product, support, and pricing on Woods part comes up short as compared to say, Bush Hog and Landpride. Not trying to convince anyone of my views, just stating them.

/ Right Tractor for Woods RM990? #12  
I bet my Woods implements will still be going strong when I'm pushing up daisies. Any more than that is just a waste. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you're a pro, have a big spread, must have the bragging rights, or just have way more money than you need, it probably makes sense to spend the big bucks for the very best. I don't fit into any of those categories by a long shot, but some of my friends and neighbors do. I don't think any less of them for having the best. In fact, I enjoy looking at their nice implements. When they come over to my place, they enjoy looking at what I have accomplished with my worthless implements. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Right Tractor for Woods RM990? #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( bet my Woods implements will still be going strong when I'm pushing up daisies. Any more than that is just a waste.

If you're a pro, have a big spread, must have the bragging rights, or just have way more money than you need, it probably makes sense to spend the big bucks for the very best. I don't fit into any of those categories by a long shot, but some of my friends and neighbors do. I don't think any less of them for having the best. In fact, I enjoy looking at their nice implements. When they come over to my place, they enjoy looking at what I have accomplished with my worthless implements.
)</font>

<font color="black"> I don't see your point. I didn't ask you to adopt my opinion. But I do reserve my privelege to post it here. </font>

/ Right Tractor for Woods RM990? #14  
I think issuing a blanket statement that Woods equipment is worthless is pretty harsh, and frankly, unfounded. That's my point, JimB. Any more questions? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Although I have more actual field experience than my local Woods complaint desk associate, I have only owned 3 Woods implements so far. That makes me pretty far from being an expert. All I can tell you is that for the money, those 3 implements are well desiged, rugged, and performed at or above my expectations. I don't exactly see how that can be called worthless. But then, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer either. Enlighten me!

Happy Father's Day to all you dads and grand dads!

/ Right Tractor for Woods RM990? #15  
I am not a fan of the company or the majority of its products that I have operated and worked on. It is really as simple as that. For instance I think the use of a blade bar to set gearbox bearing preload is poor. I don't like the pin and lock method of blade attachment used on many of their cutters. I know that there are many, many satisfied owners of Woods equipment. I am not trying to brainwash anyone here. You are conveniently ignoring the fact that we are in agreement on the subject model, the RM990. If you think my opinions are harsh and unfounded, skip over them when you see my handle at the top of a posting.

/ Right Tractor for Woods RM990? #16  
I have a Frontier 1072 RFM made by woods. This thing is extremely well built. It's gives and excellent finish cut and does very well in tall wet grass. I used it to mow 4 acres of 3 foot tall grass and only needed to make one pass. This mower is behind a JD 3320 and thus far, I haven't needed more horsepower. I am not certain if my rfm mower directly correlates to your RM990, but I hope this helps.

/ Right Tractor for Woods RM990? #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am not a fan of the company or the majority of its products )</font>

That' obvious. However, I think you will agree it's best to judge implements objectively for TBN members, and not let past employment frustrations color your opinions.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I don't like the pin and lock method of blade attachment used on many of their cutters. )</font>

Now THAT is a more genuine and objective criticism! It's aimed directly at the product. I haven't had trouble with mine yet, but will keep an eye on it. Thanks for that.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I know that there are many, many satisfied owners of Woods equipment. )</font>

Even though they are not worth owning? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif No JimB, just tweaking your tail a bit. Coffee is on me this morning!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you think my opinions are harsh and unfounded, skip over them when you see my handle at the top of a posting. )</font>

And when you get the urge to take a poke at Woods because of your old job frustrations, maybe you should skip over those posts. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So! Looks like we have worked out our differences like all good neighbors do. Good then!

/ Right Tractor for Woods RM990? #18  
Thanks for presuming to castrate my privelege of free expression on this forum. My opinion of Woods is formed by direct dealings with the products and the system and people that support those products. I understand my opinion may not be popular or universally agreed with. I refuse to be labelled unobjective simply because you disagree. This is my final post on this thread.

/ Right Tractor for Woods RM990? #19  
Rick, thanks for the opinion re: Woods. A customer only sees a few attachments from a manufacturer. Heck, most compact tractor owners only see one! A dealer's opinion, who sees many differnet attachments, as well as different models and also deals with the manufacturer directly means a lot.

/ Right Tractor for Woods RM990? #20  
Rick - your opinion about the RM990 is right on the money - and seems to agree with mine - the RM990 is a first class tool that does a great job, and is made to last a long time.

I don't have a lot of money but there's wisdom in that old saying "buy the best - you'll always be happy with it".

And thanks for posting your broader experience with Woods from the other side of the counter. If they are serious about growing (which it looks like they are) they need to hear it - and move more products up to 990 quality.