Righty? or Loosy?

/ Righty? or Loosy? #1  

deepNdirt

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar YM-1700
Well My mind has been working overtime lately, and for some reason I cannot remember if the large nut on the center shaft holding the blade disc on is a lefty Loosey? or Righty tighty?, or reverse threads Lefty tighty and Righty loosey? One thing I do know for now is its tighty either way I try:confused2:
The Dang Nut is larger than any size socket I own, must be 1 1/2 and it sets half way down in the hole, so I barely get a grip on it with a large adjustable wrench, I feel as though I could break it loos if I knew which way to turn it?:cool:
Thanks for any help

/ Righty? or Loosy? #2  
Well My mind has been working overtime lately, and for some reason I cannot remember if the large nut on the center shaft holding the blade disc on is a lefty Loosey? or Righty tighty?, or reverse threads Lefty tighty and Righty loosey? One thing I do know for now is its tighty either way I try:confused2:
The Dang Nut is larger than any size socket I own, must be 1 1/2 and it sets half way down in the hole, so I barely get a grip on it with a large adjustable wrench, I feel as though I could break it loos if I knew which way to turn it?:cool:
Thanks for any help

Which way does the blade turn? Typically, nuts are setup to tighten as the blade turns. Holding the blade and turning the direction the blade would rotate should be loosening.

/ Righty? or Loosy?
Yeah I thought this as well, I forgot to mention this is a Howse Bush hog I'm talking about, I've never used the cutter so not sure which way it spins, I will have to look at the blades to see which side the cutting edge is on....
I'm thinking the PTO will spin clockwise then spinning the gearbox of the Bush hog counter clockwise then back to spinning the actual blades clockwise as looking down on the bush hog, but then having the bush hog flipped upside down would have one thing it would spin counter clockwise :confused2:
But yes I know in the past experience when removing nuts "some" things that spin the threads would be opposite so the nut would not loosen or back off, reason I was thinking the same about this Bush hog?

/ Righty? or Loosy? #4  
Yeah I thought this as well, I forgot to mention this is a Howse Bush hog I'm talking about, I've never used the cutter so not sure which way it spins, I will have to look at the blades to see which side the cutting edge is on....
I'm thinking the PTO will spin clockwise then spinning the gearbox of the Bush hog counter clockwise then back to spinning the actual blades clockwise as looking down on the bush hog, but then having the bush hog flipped upside down would have one thing it would spin counter clockwise :confused2:
But yes I know in the past experience when removing nuts "some" things that spin the threads would be opposite so the nut would not loosen or back off, reason I was thinking the same about this Bush hog?

That's my thought. If you don't get any other answers from someone with the same unit, it is what I would try. You should be able to look and see which side of the blades have wear from cutting (leading edge) and figure your direction of rotation accordingly. I would be very suprised if the nut was not designed to tighten as the unit is run.

/ Righty? or Loosy? #5  

Curiosity... What's the reason for needing to pull the blade disk?

/ Righty? or Loosy? #6  
I'm not sure that you can depend on any theory. It probably "is what it is". Bush Hog lists 2 nuts for the blade shaft, and old style, LH), and a new stlyle, (RH). Howse does not say LH or RH, so I would assume RH. There is normally enough thread protrusion to see what it is, if you look closely.

/ Righty? or Loosy? #7  
I remove the blades on my King Kutter for sharpening several time a year, and on this product the Nuts on the swing blades are RH, and yes, they are LARGE. I found the cheapest way to remove them is with a cheap 3/4 in. drive socket set I obtained from Harbor Freight and a lot of WD-40. However I have never found it necessary to remove the center Nut on the stump jumper.

On another matter, I was told the EFC Eqipment (Buck Bond) is in the process of moving this business from Richland, WA to Benton City, WA. a distance of about 10 miles. Buck's web site http://www.efcconstruction .com reflects this move. I am going to miss Buck at his Richland location, because I always enjoyed dropping by at his shop for a cup of coffee, talk to Buck about tractors, to learn about his latest buying trips to Japan, and seeing the tractors rolling out of the shipping containers.

/ Righty? or Loosy?
Thanks all for the responses,
I have the cutter flipped up on its side in attempt to remove the blades so I can either try cutting them down or replacing them with shorter ones,
I purchased this rather beat up 5 ft. bush hog to cut down to a 4 ft'r to better match size tractor I have by removing 5" all around of the beaten up skirting/apron..... and I also need to remove this large nut in order to replace the bolts holding down the gearbox, these 4 bolts having worked themselves loose enough to cause the gearbox to be loose and causing a bad vibration, I have a good air supply and inpact wrench I'm sure would remover the large center nut, although have not the large 1 1/2 socket it take to fit the nut, I guess I'll be in search for this socket before going any further with the rebuilding of this bush hog :cool:
Thanks!

/ Righty? or Loosy? #9  
Thanks all for the responses,
I have the cutter flipped up on its side in attempt to remove the blades so I can either try cutting them down or replacing them with shorter ones,
I purchased this rather beat up 5 ft. bush hog to cut down to a 4 ft'r to better match size tractor I have by removing 5" all around of the beaten up skirting/apron..... and I also need to remove this large nut in order to replace the bolts holding down the gearbox, these 4 bolts having worked themselves loose enough to cause the gearbox to be loose and causing a bad vibration, I have a good air supply and inpact wrench I'm sure would remover the large center nut, although have not the large 1 1/2 socket it take to fit the nut, I guess I'll be in search for this socket before going any further with the rebuilding of this bush hog :cool:
Thanks!

Don't forget to give us before and after pix of the rebuild.

/ Righty? or Loosy? #10  
I might not go to all the trouble your going to. I mean once you tighten the gearbox and everything up to keep from moving around and replacing the blades or cutting them down to a 4 fter size i would just leave the deck larger, unless is super heavy duty the tractor will still pick it up, may need more weight, but it will cut 4 ft with a 5ft deck on it. Only proble i can see is judging your last pass may take some getting use to so you dont leave strips in it as well as you could not trim within a foot and a half of a fence with it but one pass with a riding mower would cover that? I would save the hassle myself and leave the deck oversize and just mark the top of the deck the cutting width, maybe some reference marks, for a quick look?

-Nate