Ballast Rim guard in tires - help with ballast?

/ Rim guard in tires - help with ballast? #1  

wango tango

Silver Member
My JD 4720 (2500 lb lift) squats pretty good when lifting my new land pride 3p606nt which weighs 2300ish lb.

Rear tires did look low on air.

Will rim guard in all four tires help with the ballast in this thing and the bouncy/squatty nature of it?

I’m going to add ~600 lbs to the FEL also but would still like a better ballast setup.

/ Rim guard in tires - help with ballast? #2  
R1s or R4s? R4s have a stiffer sidewall but less aggressive tread.

Whatever you do, make SURE the shop seals the bead correctly against leakage. RG is slick and acts as a lubricant if it gets between the tire and rim. Made for a rather interesting ride, downhill ... backwards ... with no brakes. Not something I recommend anyone else try.

/ Rim guard in tires - help with ballast?
R4

Wow!! Sounds scary.

/ Rim guard in tires - help with ballast? #4  
Shudda been there.

Dealer was baffled. Said they never saw it happen before, but were able to duplicate the wheel spinning inside the tire. Since then, I've read of a number of other cases.

/ Rim guard in tires - help with ballast? #5  
Geeze - guess mine must have been sealed properly. Never heard of such a thing nor can I locate any references/links to such happenings. I've had 1550# of Rim Guard in my rears for over nine years with no problems what-so-ever.

Would do it again in a heart beat. Provides an EXCELLENT system of ballast.

/ Rim guard in tires - help with ballast? #6  
Mine also spun inside the rim with rim guard but they were under inflated. Just a problem going uphill no loss of brakes.

/ Rim guard in tires - help with ballast? #7  
I have rim guard in my rears and run 15 lbs psi air in them. My fronts have 35 lbs psi air in them. No problems in almost 7 years and 690 hours.

/ Rim guard in tires - help with ballast? #8  
Mine also spun inside the rim with rim guard but they were under inflated. Just a problem going uphill no loss of brakes.

Surprised the fire out of me, but the way the dealer explained it afterwards is that with the wet brakes, there is still reliance on the differential. The brake may have stopped the one wheel but with the free spinning tire the other wheel kept rolling. Not sure if all brands or models would do the same thing.

Gonna have to keep an eye on this one for future signs of leaks though. I had noticed the darker stuff on the inside tire around the rim, but didn't recognize the threat.

/ Rim guard in tires - help with ballast? #9  
To wango tango, Have you checked air pressure in the tires. Squatting R4s, they must be low.

/ Rim guard in tires - help with ballast?
They are low. I’m going to inflate. What PSI is good for r4?