rip cutting into a stump

/ rip cutting into a stump #1  

Bedlam

Veteran Member
Would I be right to think that after I cut a tree down, that if I use the chainsaw to cut down into the stump that I should sharpen the chain to a straight across angle?(no angle to it as you do if you are using it to rip lumber from the logs.) As the downward cutting action would be ripping as opposed to crosscut.
Allan

/ rip cutting into a stump #2  
Bedlam said:
Would I be right to think that after I cut a tree down, that if I use the chainsaw to cut down into the stump that I should sharpen the chain to a straight across angle?(no angle to it as you do if you are using it to rip lumber from the logs.) As the downward cutting action would be ripping as opposed to crosscut.
Allan

Allan,
Im not sure on what your planning to do by cutting into the end grain, but I dont think you can just arbitrarily change the angle of the teeth on the saw. At times after I have cut a tree down and cut into sections or rounds, I have occassionally cut into the end grain to drive a splitting wedge into the round to split it into pieces. The chainsaw obviously crosscuts much better than cutting into end grain ! There may be special chains that you can buy that have a more conducive angle for end grain.

/ rip cutting into a stump
What I am doing is, after using the chainsaw to down the tree, (crosscut). I have the stump which I have cut as close to the ground as possible.
I want to then cut downward into it hopefully below grade. This would then be cutting with the grain(rip cut).
When you use the chainsaw to"rip" cut such as with a beam maker or other device to rip logs down to lumber, they sell or you can re-cut the teeth so they are 90 degrees rather than the original angle.
I plan to use an older used chain and grind the teeth , in the machine sharpener to 90 degrees.
Even with a freshly sharpened chain it is slow going when you cut with the grain.
I didn't know if anyone has changed theirs or any other tricks to get the stumps cut to below grade.
Thanks
Allan

/ rip cutting into a stump #4  
http://www.arboristsite.com/ A little more than halfway down the home page is the link to the chainsaw forum. Otherwise, towords the top is a homeowners help forum that might be helpful too.

/ rip cutting into a stump #5  
The rock buried in the tree stump will not care which way you have sharpened the saw.

/ rip cutting into a stump #6  
Bedlam,

I do hope you are wearing a helmet and chainsaw pants / boots when you are doing this. It is NOT a safe operation and is likely to severely injure you.

Prepare yourself by reading up on kick back and tip cutting using a chainsaw. Then read the statistics on injuries and fatalities for loggers. If you still want to do this, have someone with several large pressure bandages, a cell phone, first aid experience and a fast car with you.

Good luck and say hello to St. Peter for me!

jb

/ rip cutting into a stump #7  
The angle should be set at 5 degrees for ripping a log. I have a few ripping chains in my collection for ripping logs. It is basically the same chain but skip toothed and almost a square cut angle. On a small saw you could use a standard chain. Just cut the angle back to 5 degrees.

/ rip cutting into a stump #8  
My method is to dig a trench about 6" deep around the stump, wash the crap off the stump as best I can, start with a sharp chain and cut the stump off so it will be 2-4" under ground level. I can usually do it with just one chain (have to sharpen it afterwards of course) but I have had to use 2 or 3 to get a big stump done. Any deeper than that, you are in for a stump grinder.

Harry K

/ rip cutting into a stump #9  
I do the same thing. Plunge cut in the stump. Also I have and used ripping chain, but for such a short cut you dont need to bother with cutting angles.

Stump cut like that i use to burn liquids in - like gas used for cleaning bearings etc - it helps to disintegrate the stump.

Somebody told me, that after this plunge cut you coudl easily fill it up with black powder and split the stump with explosion. Did not try it - and nto sur if I ever will - you are on your own here. But take lot of pictures if you do:)

/ rip cutting into a stump #10  
A Stump Grinder seems to be the Quickest, Safest, and most of all ENGINEERED to do this on a repeated basis. Yes it is an expensive piece of equipment to own, but a 2 day Weekend rental wouldn't be to bad and grinding all the stumps that have been cut previously should not be a problem.

From what I have read it sounds like you are wanting to stand over the Stump and "GRIND" the stump out with the Tip of the Blade on the Chainsaw. If this is being done on a very large stump or for a number of small stumps that is going to be very exhausting process, not to mention the Excessive wear on the chainsaw mainly from the vibrating/bouncing of the tip of the blade. And as mentioned earlier, if the saw KICKS BACK or jumps to one side( bye-bye foot) it might be nice to have a fully staffed TRAMA unit located 15 feet from the location.

If it were me, I would stick with what a chainsaw is intened for and a little safer when CROSSCUTTING Lumber. And rent a Grinder for one or more weekends.