Road closed / opened

/ Road closed / opened #1  

Michael Aos

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2370-1 RTV500
My house backs up to ~17 acres of "open space". Think of it as a vacant lot.

There is an established path / road through it for utilities access. People walk their dogs, ride motorcycles / ATV's, jog, etc.

It so happens my house is right at the apex of a turn. Lately, folks have been blasting through it on their mufflerless ATV's and motorcycles doing "hole shots" or whatever. Crazy loud. Makes it unpleasant to be in my backyard.

I used my BX2370, Land Pride GS1548 and Ratchet Rake to carve out a new path. Used the PD10 post-hole digger to sink several 4x6 landscape timbers around the area and posted a bunch of signs designating the old path unavailable.

Has been working out well. Folks are / were using the new trail.

I noticed last week, someone had dumped a bunch of concrete "stumps" (broken fence supports) all along my new trail. Not really unusual, so I just pushed them into a pile out of the way.

I noticed yesterday someone had pulled up the landscape timber to re-open the road and used that concrete to close the new trail.

Now I'm trying to figure out the appropriate reponse.
IMG_4274.jpgIMG_4326.jpg

/ Road closed / opened
I probably should have included that in the original post. It's part of an estate / trust. The owner of record lived 1100 miles away and died last year. The property has been empty for the ~30yrs we've been here.

It used to get cleaned-up / mowed every couple of years, but nothing has been done with it for quite a while now.

Who owns the vacant lot? Have you contacted the owner?

Steve

/ Road closed / opened #4  
Current owner may have someone that "oversee's" the property, or as in the 4 wheeler plagued 27 acres near me, someone has taken upon themselves to start posting no trespassing signs and building barricades to try to keep them off. This person has the owner's permission, but the owner really doesn't care enough about it to actually do something, since it is just an investment and not near his home.
Ask around, see who moved the stuff, someone knows!
David from jax

/ Road closed / opened
That's a good thought -- and hadn't ocurred to me -- but I don't think that's it.

A few years back, the property owner hired some folks to construct barriers at each entrance and post "no dumping" signs. They were all knocked down quite a while back. I've been slowly reestablishing them.

Current owner may have someone that "oversee's" the property

/ Road closed / opened #7  
I would try to contact the executor of the owner's estate in order to obtain permission (in writing) to block the trail and post no trespassing signs. Absent that permission, I don't think you have any right to block the trail.

Steve

/ Road closed / opened
I don't.

Folks can't legally ride ATV's and motorcycles back there either...

I thought I had a win-win by moving everything ~50 yards to the new trail. Seemed to be working out great for everyone.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why someone would block the new trail and reopen the old one.

I don't think you have any right to block the trail.

/ Road closed / opened #9  
I suggest contacting your local police to see if the people on ATVs are breaking any laws that they would be inclined to enforce. If not, I don't see any legal response, except maybe buying the property.

Everybody on the property is trespassing, including you. I can't see where you have authority to enforce trail location on someone else's property.

/ Road closed / opened
I've tried to stay away from "no trespassing" signs. If I were to second-guess the original owners intent, I think she would like people to enjoy it. If I had the means, I'd purchase it and make it a park.

I've been posting "Private Road, private drive". "No motorized vehicles", "No motorcycles / ATV's", "Private Property", "No Dumping", and "Smile you're on camera" signs.
--

I would try to contact the executor of the owner's estate in order to obtain permission (in writing) to block the trail and post no trespassing signs. Absent that permission, I don't think you have any right to block the trail.

Steve