Buying Advice roadside grass cutter/lawn mower

/ roadside grass cutter/lawn mower #1  

Billy Kho

Tractor
No
Hi everyone! im new to this forum and i looking for advises from you all :D Im also new to heavy machines world.

I am a contractor and live in Borneo island.
So i plan to get a machine to increase roadside grass cutting/lawn mower productivity. To be honest i have no idea idea what are the difference between grass cutting and lawn mower :(

I know there are flail mower, sickle mover, reel mover and rotary cutter. But some people told me those machine cant be applied at our bumpy terrain. Plus, stones on the road side might spoil the machine.

Any suggestions or advises? :)

/ roadside grass cutter/lawn mower #2  
Hi everyone! im new to this forum and i looking for advises from you all :D Im also new to heavy machines world.

I am a contractor and live in Borneo island.
So i plan to get a machine to increase roadside grass cutting/lawn mower productivity. To be honest i have no idea idea what are the difference between grass cutting and lawn mower :(

I know there are flail mower, sickle mover, reel mover and rotary cutter. But some people told me those machine cant be applied at our bumpy terrain. Plus, stones on the road side might spoil the machine.

Any suggestions or advises? :)

With roadside contracting a rotary cutter is the only way to go, and a heavy one at that. You'll be surprised at what the mower will end up finding, even in cleaner areas!

/ roadside grass cutter/lawn mower #4  
Sickle mowers work but they like to plug up, can't cut over a portion you already cut, etc.

The machine you show is hand-held.

I assume you are looking for something to mount on a tractor?

You should be looking for a 3pt rotory cutter. They are a much heavier thing than you show. Look for 'brush hog' or 'Bush Hog' (one brand of them that is becoming the generic name of them...). This will chew through most things, and will slide over some stumps and rocks if it has a 'stump jumper' type of bottom cover.

--->Paul

/ roadside grass cutter/lawn mower #5  
rotary cutter is what im using now.. this type Trimmers Occasional Use Consumer Grass Trimmers | STIHL

but thinking to improve the cutting speed so i searching for suitable a machine. But not a very expensive machine. What about sickle mower? will it do as fine as rotary cutter?

What you show in your link is NOT what we refer to as a rotary cutter. That Stihl is a "string trimmer.' A rotary cutter is a mower towed behind a tractor and is sometimes called a shredder and also called a Bush Hog since they were the first widely used brand. If you have lots of rocks, I'd say any type of tractor mower is NOT what you want. If you want to use something that you can ride on, how will you deal with the rocks when you run over them with the wheels? Do you mean large rocks or small ones the size of baseballs?

For a much greater ability at cutting rough brush with hidden obstacles, I'd recommend you consider the DR Trimmer/Mower. It's a string trimmer, but in a much larger configuration than you now have with your Stihl.

/ roadside grass cutter/lawn mower
Thank you jinman for correcting me :laughing: omg.. i was confused all the time... seems like im not used to current technology :laughing:
About the stone... is the size of baseballs or even smaller.
I am thinking to have something that can ride on. Sickle mower sickle mower | eBay
and flail mower http://www.inobrezice.com/eng/images/naslovna-euro.jpg
seem suitable to my terrain type, bumpy, rocky(not all the places) and branches. Any comment about it?
Those links below are the examples of grass at the roadside
http://www.cynthiachin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/dsc00549.jpg
http://cache.virtualtourist.com/4/4443509-Road_to_the_Airport_State_of_Sarawak.jpg
http://www.sarawakbahai.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/0048.jpg

/ roadside grass cutter/lawn mower #7  
The sickle mower is good for making hay. It is a rather fussy thing that doesn't like to dela with clogs, woody stuff, or rocks. If you needed to make hay, good choice. For cutting down vegitation, not so great.

Flail mower is ok for what you want.

Rotory mower - bush hog - is better.

--->Paul

/ roadside grass cutter/lawn mower #8  
:welcome: to TBN! :thumbsup:

Happy :tractor: ing!

Around here the road crews use a flail mower on an articulated arm!

:welcome: to TBN! :thumbsup:

Happy :tractor: ing!

Around here the road crews use a flail mower on an articulated arm!

Thank you... :) and thanks for your reply too...

rambler, i think i might go for flail mower... because rotary mower seem not suitable to the bumpy ground.. thank for you additional information bout sickle mower.. :thumbsup: im totally new to those mower technology...