robin engine

/ robin engine #1  

johara1

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ventrac 4500P
i have problems with the engine governor, the bolt that holds the governor arm to the shaft came loose.
i went through robin, and it's at a service center now and has been there for three wks. i tried to order a service manual,but they have been back ordered for 2 mos.
so i called terry and he refered me to jack, at robin.so i hope i covered all the bases.i'll just sit here and watch the grass grow.
one thing i did learn is that the robin and the new onan are NOT the same engine. it's made by robin but it's different inside, this is what jack told me at robin.when i tried to find a service center at onan,that was in the area. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ robin engine #2  
Dude,

I'm amazed that you're having so many problems with this engine. I've never owned a Robin, but I've always heard good things about them. I hope you get everything resolved quickly...best of luck!

Dave

/ robin engine #3  
Maybe because many of their small engines are made by Kubota??

/ robin engine #4  
I wonder what's different on the Onan version? Maybe they kept the triple piston rings??? If you look at the engine specs they publish, they are identical as far as bore & stroke, hp, displacement, and compression.

/ robin engine
Schultz,
i don't know the diff. in the two engines, jack didn't go into detail, all i was looking for was a someone with knowledge to fix the one i have.
on the outside they look the same, it might be like getting info. from pt, to find out whats inside. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ robin engine
as you can tell by the date on the post it will soon be 2 months and the 422 is still down!!.this is a joke,the latest is, the place they told me to take it is not authorized to do the work.when i called jack at robin to get that taken care of,the distributor i find out said they don't have the parts that were ordered 2 weeks ago.
good news; is i received the service book(all most 2 mo.) this may be the first 422 to run out of warrantee with the least hours. bullitt you made a good move!!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ robin engine
this is the latest,i call jack at robin for help again.after three months the parts are on back order!
a call had the parts sent first day air, now the engine is together,now new oil and filter set it in and bolt it up ready to go.wrong! the part, is not the right.you can not bolt the plate to the engine that holds the gear pumps on. so monday a call to terry at pt. and jack at robin!! 3 mos. and counting /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ robin engine #8  
Johara1:

I think this is just ridiculous. You actually had it running, what, a week or two? Given this is a new machine, I think you should've held PT's feet to the fire on it, and nicely insisted that they make the situation right regardless of what it took (even if that meant shipping you a new machine and taking the current one back). I sure do hope that you get this resolved.

Good luck,
Dave

/ robin engine
here we go again,called jack at robin and i gave him the numbers off the engine.and now he will send me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif the right parts to fix the engine!but i have to send the wrong ones back. i said i would and it wouldn't take 3 months /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ robin engine
jack at robin was to send me the right parts,but that has not happened.so they have worn me down. to hell with the warranty,fix it yourself.redrill the plat to fit the case on the robin engine.half a day it is in and running. just to find out the blade on the right side is hitting the side of the deck.ground the sides of the blade and reblance. now the engine quit,it will run with the choke out (lean condition) so take the carb. off you would have too see the junk in it the dirt was up to the main jet. the drain was pluged solid.
so i call terry about all this,he ask why i waited till now to tell him about the deck and the carb. i told him what i did to get it running, he told me i should not have modified it, i should wait for jack to get the right parts! my reply is they can build 60 cars an hour, i'm going on 4 months,don't you think that is a little to much? /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif