Front-End Loader Rock & debris bucket

/ Rock & debris bucket
The bucket bars are spaced on 3" centers which actually leaves about 2.5" between the bars. I will have to use my planned approach to see if I need to do anything more to achieve my goals. I would really like to have a 3 point hitch system to do this as it would provide more effective use of power, but I don't think there are any small systems available for this. I am planning to scarify the soil to about 6" depth and then use my improvised rock picker to followup after that. It remains to be seen how well it works. I have over the years used loaders to pop the bigger rocks up and then get them into the loader using spud bars, etc. I am not able to move the bigger ones now like that and I don't want to pick up the smaller ones by hand anymore now either. When I bought this particular parcel of land it had been dozed rather ineffectively and has a lot of dips, big rocks and other issues. Basically, it is a pasture renovation of sorts and an attempt to make more hayfields available. Also, I am mining some rocky fill dirt for the runway expansion and using composted pond muck for the topsoil. I have increased it from an original length of 500' to just shy of 800' now and hope to eventually reach 1,000. It is 100' wide.

/ Rock & debris bucket #12  
I wonder if a Rake would help you with the smaller rocks?

King Kutter Yard Rake

/ Rock & debris bucket
Possibly, i am going to try the new system and evaluate my needs/wants as the projects progress. I already have a good, heavy duty lift chain harrow and I may see how that does first.

/ Rock & debris bucket #14  
Just for comparison I use a Bradco rock bucket and the tines have about 2" spacing. Works pretty well as long as I loosen the soil abit. I do that with my box blade with the scarafiers down all the way. As long as i don't dig too deep with the bucket shaking the dirt out is minimal.

/ Rock & debris bucket #15  
If i'ts custom have them make the spacing 1"-2" apart. 3" will let a lot of good size rock drop through.

/ Rock & debris bucket
The spacing is 3" on center which is about 2 1/2" total distance. I have heavy clay soil here and I think anything smaller than that would be very problematic with soil remaining in the bucket. Even 2 1/2" may create issues. Sandy soil or lighter soils would work pretty well with less distance between the forks.

Last edited:
   / Rock & debris bucket #17  
I've never used a rock bucket but just bought a VERY used power rake primarily for rock removal and have been very happy with the results. With the amount of surfacing work you're doing it may be worth looking into.

New they are pricey but if you keep your eyes out serviceable ones can be found pretty cheap.

Here is a pic of the results. It missed a few but with as wet as the soil was I was impressed.

Attachments

• image-3821385803.png
    image-3821385803.png
    868.8 KB · Views: 246
   / Rock & debris bucket #18  
I bought the wildkat grapple with rock bottom bucket and paid what you are showing for pricing of just the bucket.

/ Rock & debris bucket #19  
I only handpick big rocks now. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=184425&highlight=stones

1st pic. I built a redneck harley rake using my Kubota roto tiller and a landscape rake. It actually works pretty good. I remove the back guard and scrapped the 3 point hitch off the rake. The stones hit the tines and fall straight down then get covered by the dirt that goes thru the tines. The bigger stones flip up and sit on top. Took a bit of playing around but it works and saves us time.

2nd pic This is my culivator. I moved all the teeth to the front two bars and put them closer together. I added a 4"x4" angle iron to the back bracket. You can see the two trailer screw jacks attached to the bar. This allows me to raise the levelling bar to level soil. I can set the teeth to go as deep as I want and the levelling bar will level everything. I can also set the depth with the guage wheels. By raising the teeth and lowering the back bar it will drag all the stones to one spot then lift it up to leave them. I can also move soil from high spots to low spots with the back bar.
I have stone buckets too.

Attachments

• rototiller1.jpg
    rototiller1.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 272
  • cultivator1.jpg
    cultivator1.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 225
   / Rock & debris bucket #20  
I would take a look at Wildkat attachments as previously mentioned if you see something they make that would fit your requirements. They seem like a good company that can and will work with you.
I bought a "rock grapple" from them and it is VERY solid and works great on my 5100. It is about 100 and some lbs heavier than my 72"HD bucket and it is only a 48" model. The bucket is also a bit longer so the weight even feels like a little bit more than it really is. I would also think hard about getting one a bit smaller than the 72" bucket width you are used to. The additional leverage and weight hanging out there may surprise you.
Good luck with your purchase