Rock Pickers?

/ Rock Pickers? #1  

Timmmmah

Tractor
2005 L 3130 FST
I have about 2 acres of horse arena and pasture that is innundated with rocks. I use my box blade with it tilted forward so the scarifiers are more aggressive and dont move too much dirt, it works well for digging up the rocks, BUT every pass digs up MORE and MORE! and then hand pick them. I was thinking about maybe renting a rock picker and making a few passes with that then just hauling in a couple hundred yards of clean fill. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Rock Pickers? #2  
lanscape rake ... angle to deposite them into rows, gather them with the loader

/ Rock Pickers? #3  
Yep, a landscape rake with gauge wheels should be able to windrow the ones larger than 1".

/ Rock Pickers? #4  
Tim, check this out - Harley mobile screener.

It looks like it would be just the thing for getting rid of rocks all the way down to 1/2", and it says it'll do 2 acres in an hour. Even if it does 1/2 acre in 2 hours, it looks pretty cool. I just don't know if you'd get as good a job with a landscape rake, all in all. You'd still have the scoop up the "wind-rowed" rocks, and I don't know if you could really get rid of the smaller (1/2"-1") rocks that way. Sounds like 1/2" rocks and under wouldn't be much of a problem for horses' hooves; in fact, they list horse arena maintenance as one of the main uses for this attachment.

These are the same guys that make Harley rakes, but this attachment has the advantage of actually picking the rocks right out and storing them in a hopper, which I assume you dump periodically.

The trick is going to be finding someone who has one for rent; or who knows, if you end up buying one, maybe you could rent it out to other horsemen who are in the same boat as you are. They can't be cheap though, I'd have to guess around six grand or so. But I bet your horses would love you. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hope this helps, John