Rock shaft noise

/ Rock shaft noise #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Recently, I had to replace all the differential bolts as they had sheared off on both sides of my JD 750 causing me to have no rear drive. After everything is zipped back up and all cone and backlash adjustments made to spect, I now have a whirring, hissing noise under the rock shaft cover. Fluids are ok and the noise dissappears when the clutch is pressed in. Anyone have any thoughts as to where this noise is coming from?

/ Rock shaft noise #2  
arrow said:
Recently, I had to replace all the differential bolts as they had sheared off on both sides of my JD 750 causing me to have no rear drive. After everything is zipped back up and all cone and backlash adjustments made to spect, I now have a whirring, hissing noise under the rock shaft cover. Fluids are ok and the noise dissappears when the clutch is pressed in. Anyone have any thoughts as to where this noise is coming from?

Your tile indicate " Rock Shaft Noise" but the hissing you hear is somewhere below the rock shaft cover. Do you hear any noise when you use the 3-point arm lowering or raising it?. What caused the differential cover bolt ?? to shear off :eek: ?. Does the noise come back when you let go off the clutch(engaged)? Does the noise repeat itself by engaging and disengaging the clutch?Any pics? noise with the rock shaft should be in the area of lift cylinder, pivot arm or where it come out of the housing to connect to lift arm.

JC,

/ Rock shaft noise
No noise difference is noticed by engaging the lift arm. The noise does go in and out depending on clutch engagement. In, it diappears. Out, even when the drive mechanism is engaged for the tractor to move, the noise is evident. The bolts that sheared were not the diff cover bolts but the allen bolts on the differential itself holding the ring gear. No one at my dealership knew why except to say they've seen it a couple of other times on the 750 and 650. I am thinking this has something to do with the clutch except you know how noise can travel. I hear it at the rockshaft cover but I know nothing there has to do with motivating the tractor. I am wondering if it has something to do with PTO . Never used it on my machine so I cannot recall if it is continuous or stops when the clutch is depressed. I have to check on that.

/ Rock shaft noise #4  
arrow said:
The noise does go in and out depending on clutch engagement. In, it diappears. Out, even when the drive mechanism is engaged for the tractor to move, the noise is evident.

When you disengage the clutch, the engine is not turning anything in
the gearbox or rear end. When you engage the clutch, gears and shafts
are turning, even if the shifter is in neutral. What you most likely hear
is gear noise. Double check that there is enough oil in the gearbox as
there are a lot of nooks and crannies the oil has to get to after being
fully drained.

/ Rock shaft noise
Will do. This is getting much too complicated for me to deal with so soon. I did not enjoy splitting this tractor and wouldn't want to do it again for at least another 15 years. Just don't have the patience for it. If someone knew or had experience this with theirs and it was a simple element to fix, I could deal. If this is a continuation of a problem that's going to rear its ugly head, then I'll just wait until it busts again. Thank you very much for your input.

Lou