ROCK SKIMMER

/ ROCK SKIMMER #1  

flINTLOCK

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA 2002
I have innumerable 4-8 inch rocks on the surface of the ground where I'm establishing foodplots for deer. I have a TC40 DA recently purchased, but no implements yet. Trying to develop strategy for rock harvest. I plan on buying Milonzi rock bucket. I plan to buy York rake, but I'm told that won't be effective for the larger rocks and may risk damaging the LR. I was wondering whether a box scraper on float with the tines turned backward would skim the surface without digging in too much. That would allow me to herd the rocks into piles for the stone bucket to deal with. Any advice would be appreciated since this job of rock collecting is going to be my biggest headache.

/ ROCK SKIMMER #2  
I have the landscape rake and rock bucket combo and it is a handy setup. Why not make a sweep around with the bucket first, then come back and rake?

/ ROCK SKIMMER
Can you readily skim the rocks from the surface as you move forward with the rock bucket?? I thought you might just push them ahead without being able to actually pick them up with the bucket. I initially thought that was the way to do it and then had second thoughts about whether they could be sifted off the surface that way.

/ ROCK SKIMMER #5  
flINTLOCK said:
Can you readily skim the rocks from the surface as you move forward with the rock bucket?? I thought you might just push them ahead without being able to actually pick them up with the bucket. I initially thought that was the way to do it and then had second thoughts about whether they could be sifted off the surface that way.

For rocks that are football to basketball size on the surface, you can use a boxblade to round them up into a pile. If they are in loose soil, you can sift them out with the rock bucket. It's not like going straight until the bucket fills up, you have to work the angle of the bucket and sometimes flip the rocks from the tines back into the basket portion of the bucket. The only time you will fill the bucket with rocks is if you have a pile of them and can dig into it like it was a pile of gravel or dirt. Here is a piture of my rock bucket full of rocks. I was able to get about 2/3 of these by pushing up a pile with the boxblade and then the rest I got off the tractor and pitched into the bucket. I was hauling each load almost 1/2 mile and could not afford to make the trip with a partially filled bucket. If you are just clearing an area and making a rock pile close by, you will probably find it is more efficient to work with loads 1/3 to 1/2 the capacity of the bucket.

Attachments

• 871134-gotrocks2[2].jpg
    871134-gotrocks2[2].jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 237
   / ROCK SKIMMER #6  
   / ROCK SKIMMER #7  
   / ROCK SKIMMER
Rock buckets by Millonzi similar to Jim's are about $1080 + shipping for 4.5 foot model. Jim, how do you set your BB to herd the rocks?? I don't own a BB yet, but am trying to figure out best approach.

/ ROCK SKIMMER #10