Rocker Arm shooting lots of oil

/ Rocker Arm shooting lots of oil #1  

Lem

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kabota RTV 500
Have Izeki with ISUZU 2 cylinder engine and one of the four rockers is squirting oil big time. Probably putting out more oil than the other three together. Less than 1100 hrs. and all the holes in the four rockers are open and clean in the top of the engine. Had the valve cover off and fired it up. Probably shooting a foot or so by the time it got to the ground. The other 3 weren't doing anything.

/ Rocker Arm shooting lots of oil #2  
which rocker arm is getting all of the oil?

/ Rocker Arm shooting lots of oil
which rocker arm is getting all of the oil?

It is the second rocker back from the radiator and next to the flange that holds the front two to the engine head on the long tube that goes the length of the head rearward.

Does have the shaft from front to rear and two lock downs for the shaft and this one is the no. 2 from the front and it is getting all of the oil looks like. Before the oil warms up it cannot return down thru the pushrods fast enough to get back to the sump. Starts puddling and I shut it down.

No, what I had happening then was oil forming in the apparatus that is under the breather that fits on the outside of the valve cover and when the engine oil is cold you can sit there while it is idling and watch the oil begin to come up into the bracket inside the valve cover and then reach and turn the engine off and the oil will leave and in about 2 or 3 minutes you can start it back up after the oil gets warm and it will run all day with out any more forming in the bracket. If you don't shut the engine down when you see it forming it will start jumping out the breather pipe and running down the side of the engine. Guess it would pump enough oil out then to cause some damage to the engine. It evidently, when the oil is cold it will not run back into the sump fast enough and might be filling up the valve covers to get up high enough to run up into the bracket. Have no trouble if kept in the basement and plug it up for about 3 hours then pull it outside and the oil is warm and will not form in the bracket to jump out onto the engine..........This condition that I told you about the oil being squirted out the rocker might be causing the oil to form enough to get to where it will fill up the valve cover and then form in the bracket and then start forcing it out the filter element. If all the rockers were oiling a little I think the problem out be solved but I don't know exactly how the rockers get their oil to them or why that one has so much more pressure on it and none on the others.

I guess this might have been the problem all alone since you cannot see into the valve cover to see what is going on.

Can a guy take the lifter and components loose and take it out and see if it might be stopped up or partially stopped up since this one is getting lots of oil coming out of it.

Thanks K7LN for the picture and explanation of the problem. Sounds like you hit the nail on the head. I have a small line about the size of a brake line coming up the side of the engine and tapping into the head and I guess that is the line that feeds to the rocker shaft and I took it off and it is clean and open so I am using something that is supposed to maybe clean more of that out. Changing the oil regularly when it gets dark and using Synthetic 5W-40 diesel oil. Thanks a lot. Did save the picture to MY PICTURES on the PC.

Last edited: