Roll-Up doors or Overhead Doors

/ Roll-Up doors or Overhead Doors #11  
I have repaired hundreds of roll up doors on semi's and many trucking company dock doors.
I managed to get 4 chain operated 12' wide X 14' high wrap up doors that were being replaced in a high crime neighborhood. All I had to do was haul them away!! You can see one in the pic.
The wrap up doors are much better because they take up less room overhead.
Both types have counter balance springs that can be set to what ever you want in lift pressure.
To remove an old roll up door in a semi we would take out the back stops, disconnect the cables and shove it to land on the floor!! I would hate to be under one if it fell! The wrap ups would have to come off the wall to fall.

Attachments

• 000_0527.JPG
    000_0527.JPG
    644 KB · Views: 299
   / Roll-Up doors or Overhead Doors #12  
On my wood sided barns I have wooden doors on barn rail track. On our big shop where we can bring trucks in to, a fourteen foot roll up door with chain drive operated by hand is the real deal. Right tool for the job. Roll up, roll down. put the chain on the keeper with a pin to lock it in place. The door seals just right and retains the heat. Oh yeah, the door is somewhat insulated too. Never have regretted it. We built this building nearly twenty years ago. Just right.

/ Roll-Up doors or Overhead Doors
Thanks for all the replies.

/ Roll-Up doors or Overhead Doors #14  
I have a 12' x 12' commercial overhead door to my garage. It is insulated and has three small oval windows. Cost was about $1500 (installed by contractor) about 12 years ago. I needed a door that size because I have a 2 post lift in my garage. For the first few years I had to manually lift the door to open. The spring tension was set so it was pretty easy to do. As time went on I acquired and installed a belt driven commercial electric door opener. When I priced doors I found a roll up was more expensive so went with the overhead.

/ Roll-Up doors or Overhead Doors #15  
I have had all 3, sliders are bad for snow and ice, hard to seal. Role up doors are also hard to seal, and rattle when the wind blows, I work in a shop that has 2 new Overhead Door role ups, these were replacements for 30year old role ups, the installer did 2 out of 7, after using them for a few days the owner canselled the other 5. Mice love the role up and sliders, easy access to the indoors. The over head doors are the only way to go, install them now and save the cost of the sliders. If you have a large opening a bifold overhead, hanger door is nice.

Dave

/ Roll-Up doors or Overhead Doors #16  
dont make up your mind till you check out Janus Doors. I was able to get my roll up door WITH integral electric motor to raise and lower for less $$$ than my local sectional door installers wanted.

have had it for over 5 years now....wonderful door. very easy to install by myself using a harbor freight electric winch motor. it assembles on the ground with 3 pieces. these are 2 side rails and the door with motor already installed as the 3rd piece. took about 1 hour to install.

http://www.janusintl.com/

/ Roll-Up doors or Overhead Doors #17  
As for role up doors ref to Mac D's post on rattling doors in his new shop. I have one on my storage shed, so the rattling does not bother there, but mice get in around the door track, I even installed extra weatherstrip on the outside, snow and rain also blow in.

Dave

/ Roll-Up doors or Overhead Doors #18  
You really want to get the specs for clearances needed to install a door in a building from a pro, I have a 14x14 roll-up door in my shop it takes quite a bit of clearance for the door track

/ Roll-Up doors or Overhead Doors #19  
Like others said my $ is on the standard Overhead doors, the Roll ups are not worth the cost/problems. the Sliders are about same cost as most overhead doors WITHOUT an opener and you can install an opener later cheaply. Also overhead clearance with the overhead doors is much better as you can get down to about 12~14" depending on your install height and a rollup will need about half again as much.

Mark

/ Roll-Up doors or Overhead Doors #20  
Like others said my $ is on the standard Overhead doors, the Roll ups are not worth the cost/problems. the Sliders are about same cost as most overhead doors WITHOUT an opener and you can install an opener later cheaply. Also overhead clearance with the overhead doors is much better as you can get down to about 12~14" depending on your install height and a rollup will need about half again as much.

Mark

yes and no. in pole barn structures, the door height is limited to the truss elevation. A standard sectional has to be installed below this level..ie under the trusses. A roll up door can be installed ABOVE the trusses. This is the reason i now have full access up to the level of my trusses.

I purchased and installed mine in May 2008. have had NO issues with anything.