Rolled my new BX23 on its side this weekend!

/ Rolled my new BX23 on its side this weekend! #1  

kwasimoto

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I was doing some small boulder removal work and using the FEL to place the rocks up on a bank. The machine was on an ever so slight side to side incline, and as the boulders went up so did the center of gravity. Before I knew it, the machine went over on its side! Boy did it happen fast, I tried to lower the FEL as it started going but no such luck. I jumped away from the machine and was fine (luckily).

Had I been wearing my seatbelt, I might have been killed, I know that isn't the norm however.

I immediately shut down the tractor and checked my shorts. After recomposing myself, a couple of my friends assisted me uprighting the unit with a tow strap to the ROPS anchor point, a Jeep pulling, and 2 guys pushing. We got the machine up with little effort.

I must say Kubota has a good design as there was no damage to the tractor at all. A little bit of dirt in the tire bead, and that was it. Their design allowed the tractor to rest on the tires outside of the fenders, and in the case of the FEL being elevated, tripoded on the side of it as well.

I let the machine sit for about 40 minutes to let the fluids settle out, checked the oil, and it fired right up.

I had 30 hours on the machine, and have had experience with compact hydraulic equipment in the past, but this was a wake up call. You have to really take it easy and think about what you are doing. Just because these are small machines doesn't mean that they can't hurt or kill you.

Stay safe.

Mike /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Rolled my new BX23 on its side this weekend! #2  
Glad to hear your alright and no damage to the tractor. Out of interest, do you have ballast and what kind if you do?

/ Rolled my new BX23 on its side this weekend! #3  
Glad you're OK! I've said it before but I'll say it again. Many times I've been doing something on the tractor and decided to do it safer because of what someone has posted here. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Be safe out there!

CTTree has a great point! There have been a few "Do you wear your seat belt?" threads over the past year. Some respond yeah, some nay. Even though I sometimes feel foolish, I almost always wear it. As I said last time I responded to such a question, my decision affects my whole family, not just me. Now your post has helped reaffirm my decision! Next time, you may not be so lucky...

/ Rolled my new BX23 on its side this weekend! #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I jumped away from the machine and was fine (luckily). )</font>

Glad you weren't hurt, but you're not going to escape completely unscathed. Prepare to be hammered for not wearing your seatbelt. Jumping off the machine is not the advised method. Try to leave luck out of your operating practices. If there's wake-up call here, I hope it will be to wear your seat belt. Stay put, hang on to the wheel, and let the ROPS protect you. Sure, you could get speared by something, or crushed against something, but I think you went against the odds, and also RULE #1 of tractor safety - wear your seat belt at ALL times.

The only exception to the rule is if your ROPS HAS to be down for some reason. If that was the case, though it doesn't sound like it, please accept my apologies.

/ Rolled my new BX23 on its side this weekend! #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Before I knew it, the machine went over on its side! Boy did it happen fast, I tried to lower the FEL as it started going but no such luck. I jumped away from the machine and was fine (luckily). )</font>

It happened 'fast' and you did all those things? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Rolled my new BX23 on its side this weekend! #6  
<font color="blue"> Had I been wearing my seatbelt, I might have been killed, I know that isn't the norm however.</font>
Why do you say that? What were the circumstances?

/ Rolled my new BX23 on its side this weekend! #7  
Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharring your bad experience, we at TBN really appreciate your honest description of what happen.

This is the only way we can learn form each other. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Keep them comming bad or good as they are...

Thanks

/ Rolled my new BX23 on its side this weekend! #8  
I know the feeling. My place is 10 acres of mostly level grazing land. But there is a cut for a tractor road into the orchard that used to be on the property. I have to be careful crossing that cut with my B7510HST/LA302 FEL with a load in the FEL bucket. I keep the bucket low and I cross the cut at a right angle to minimize any tendency for the tractor to roll left or right.

I realize that your situation is different. You were on a incline and had to lift the bucket to place the load on top of your banking. Don't know what you could have done to prevent the rollover short of using some kind of ramp to keep the front wheels on an even keel.

/ Rolled my new BX23 on its side this weekend! #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Many times I've been doing something on the tractor and decided to do it safer because of what someone has posted here.)</font>

No kidding! Sometimes I run out to the barn just to make sure mine hasn't flipped-over /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Russell in Texas

/ Rolled my new BX23 on its side this weekend! #10  
Been there, done that. BUT, I was wearing my seatbelt. I believe the seatbelt saved my life, because otherwise I might have fallen down and had the tractor fall on top of me. I now wear my seatbelt 98% of the time, as compared to 40% of the time before the rollover.