Rolled my Tractor and it blew up ???

/ Rolled my Tractor and it blew up ??? #11  
You're a very lucky man to walk away with no injuries. That tractor can be rebuilt. Sure, it's a good bit of money, but how much money & time would it cost to try and rebuild you?? Almost certainly a lot more than an engine rebuild!!

/ Rolled my Tractor and it blew up ??? #12  
Well,I wouldn't really argue the point to much with kabota:D

/ Rolled my Tractor and it blew up ??? #13  
The ignition, being electrical, becomes irrellevant because of how the lubricants and fuel became distributed.??.....upside wrong.

The "ignition" in a diesel is from compression.
The only thing electrical is the starter.

You stop them by shutting off the fuel, and when it was on it's side, the lubricating oil became the fuel

/ Rolled my Tractor and it blew up ??? #14  
no insurance on the tractor, I doubt homeowners would cover.

I would highly recommend installing an emergency kill (air kill) on ANY diesel engine, I know now that anything else I own will have one.

bad accident for sure,.

however.. if you couldn't get to the air cleaner.. do you think you would be able to get to a choke plate in a similar situation?

good luck

soundguy

/ Rolled my Tractor and it blew up ??? #15  
The "ignition" in a diesel is from compression.
The only thing electrical is the starter.

You stop them by shutting off the fuel, and when it was on it's side, the lubricating oil became the fuel

Exactly. Kubota is off the hook for this one IMHO. Freak accident, but one where the operator should have turned the key off while still rolling over or instantly afterward. Yeah yeah, who has the cool head to think about that when the adrenaline is surging? I'll bet the OP will if it ever happens again. That's the benefit of experience.

The OP wrote that he was witness to the engine screaming for 10 minutes. Next time, do what ever it takes to get to the air cleaner and shove your shirt, socks and pants if need be down the air pipe to the engine. It's the only way to save the engine in that situation. It sounds like he was attempting to do so, but the one piece hood stopped him. If correct, that stinks. Must have been nerve wracking to have to stand by and not able to do a thing!

My heart goes out to the OP, but that's what insurance is for. Your Home owners policy may cover it if you were working on your primary residence land. Find out the extent of the damages and call the agent. Can't hurt.

/ Rolled my Tractor and it blew up ??? #16  
I wonder why manufacturers have eliminated compression release valves.They are so simple and such a foolproof method to shut down a diesel. My older CK20 had such a system which was easily reached even in a rollover as the cable pull was just next to the steering wheel. My newer DK40se has only the electric fuel shut off solenoid.

/ Rolled my Tractor and it blew up ??? #17  
Two good reasons to carry a CO2 fire extinguisher....one in case of fire and the other to kill a runaway engine.

/ Rolled my Tractor and it blew up ??? #18  
I agree with Aaron, A diesel engine requires three things to operate, fuel, air, and relative motion. When it went on it's side it probably allowed crankcase oil to get to the combustion chambers. That oil became the fuel. The only thing that would have killed it would have been to stop the air flow. If your tractor is insured the engine may be considered accident related damage. Count your blessings you were not hurt and think of all the posting fun you will have telling us about the repair saga.

Ps, I was going to be a wiseguy and say a Kioti would not have rolled, but I'll wait until you cool off.

/ Rolled my Tractor and it blew up ??? #19  
Whew..glad your able to share w/us Steve.
I agree w/others about lubes becoming fuel,also be very surprise Kubota will come forward.

I wouldn't start tractor right off..let it set day or so w/drain plugs filters remove fluids can drain out.

Fingers cross for you..again glad your still w/us.

/ Rolled my Tractor and it blew up ??? #20  
I agree with Aaron, A diesel engine requires three things to operate, fuel, air, and relative motion. When it went on it's side it probably allowed crankcase oil to get to the combustion chambers. That oil became the fuel. The only thing that would have killed it would have been to stop the air flow. If your tractor is insured the engine may be considered accident related damage. Count your blessings you were not hurt and think of all the posting fun you will have telling us about the repair saga.

Ps, I was going to be a wiseguy and say a Kioti would not have rolled, but I'll wait until you cool off.

Don't forget compression.

What a crappy situation to be in. Far less crappy than being under the tractor listening to the motor run out though. Thank god you are OK and the tractor is the one who broke.

Agree with Island, don't understand why they've done away with compression release valves, they are handy for a bunch of reasons, like spinning the motor to get oil pressure in the winter.

I'm sorry for the loss of the tractor motor, happy for no loss to your family.

Joel