Rolled my Yanmar EX3200 and have questions

/ Rolled my Yanmar EX3200 and have questions #21  
G'day Don yes I know that diesel comp testers go up to 1000 psi but in 25 years of working on them i have never seen compressions that high, I also said about the valve adjustment as this is a way of quickly checking tosee if you have a bent valve and any compresion test should not be done without first checking and adjusting as a tight valve will give you a low reading. I have found on more than one occasion that a valve check can save doing a comp test.
PS And yes i have read his thread and i thinkit unlikely that it has a crook valve but it does not hurt to eliminate all the possibilities before a major tear down

Jon

/ Rolled my Yanmar EX3200 and have questions #22  
G'day Don yes I know that diesel comp testers go up to 1000 psi but in 25 years of working on them i have never seen compressions that high, I also said about the valve adjustment as this is a way of quickly checking tosee if you have a bent valve and any compresion test should not be done without first checking and adjusting as a tight valve will give you a low reading. I have found on more than one occasion that a valve check can save doing a comp test.
PS And yes i have read his thread and i thinkit unlikely that it has a crook valve but it does not hurt to eliminate all the possibilities before a major tear down

Jon
If you read the thread, then you should understand what caused the problem in the first place, which would be oil in the cylinders caused by the rollover. Then an improper start-up procedure 24 hours later.

The OP is lucky that he didn't bend a connecting rod, but most likely bent a valve.

My position is that if he continues running the engine and/or "adjusts the valves" as per your recommendation, there is a very real possibility of said bent valve snapping off and causing major engine damage.

Anyway, this is my last post on the subject........just beating a dead horse here. Op has been informed of the problem, but has not followed the advice.

I wish the OP all the luck in the world, and hope that he posts the final outcome.

/ Rolled my Yanmar EX3200 and have questions
Hello all, Sorry to Don87 for irritating you but I have been listening and following up on everyones advice and sequentially eliminating everything before breaking the engine seals. As I still do not have the service manual for this, what would the valve clearance specs be? I will pull the rocker cover tonight and do a visual for anything that is apparent. Do diesel engines run a solid lifter or hydraulic lifter style valve train?
Thanks as always for everyones patience.

Hello all, my newest problem has become finding the specs for this engine. Surprisingly, I cannot go to the Cub Cadet or MTD website and order the service repair manual for the EX3200. I have been told by both organizations the manual is only available for dealers. My dealer (who does not have a diesel mechanic on staff) confirmed this and said "sorry". Tonight I pulled the rocker cover..all looked well. Cranked the engine with a dial indicator on the rpcker arms...all were equal. I pulled then rocker arm assembly..all looked well. I pulled the push rods and rolled on my marble flat table...all rolled perfect. I put a straight edge across all of the valve stems as they are now in a fully seated position (no rocker arms installed)...the straight edge spanned all 6 at once and all were level. Unless there is damage at the valve seats all appeared ok. I have not been able to find a diesel valued compresion gauge locally yet.
Here is the new discovery. I pulled the exhaust manifold off. Cylinder 1 (front) has a little black soot. Cylinder 3 (rear) has a little black soot. Cylinder 2 has that same black soot but looks as if it was sprayed with a thick coat of clear coat. The clear coat feels tacky but not wet. Anybody have thoughts?

/ Rolled my Yanmar EX3200 and have questions #25  
Since you have the valves all in a seated position, the next test that comes to mind is a leakdown test. Here is a link that basically describes it: Leakdown tests for car engine cylinder compression problems

My suspicion is that the air might help you find the source of whatever might be coating the exhaust on the number 2 cylinder. Maybe it is fuel or antifreeze that is leaving residue as it flashes of in the exhaust chamber.

/ Rolled my Yanmar EX3200 and have questions #26  
I have found that tacky stuff before in some diesels. It is partially burned/unburned fuel. I really suspect your #2 cylinder has a slight bow in the connecting rod. Here is a way to check without a compression guage.
use piece of electrical solder (solid stuff, not flux filled), remove the injector and feed it down into the cylinder bowing the solder slightly so it is close to horizontal. Then rotate the engine by hand, don't use starter, 1 revolution. Repeat this with all 3 cylinders and see if the solder is compressed equally. This will tell you if piston rise is different in 1 cylinder.

Unless you can find a service manual, your going to have to take to a shop anyway to get torque specs. Check with a Yanmar dealer. Read your model number so they can compare it to correct engine. Any numbers at the end after the dash are only equipment specifications as to intake & exhaust configuration but same numbers 3TN????- are all the same internally.

/ Rolled my Yanmar EX3200 and have questions #27  
Hello all, my newest problem has become finding the specs for this engine. Surprisingly, I cannot go to the Cub Cadet or MTD website and order the service repair manual for the EX3200. I have been told by both organizations the manual is only available for dealers. My dealer (who does not have a diesel mechanic on staff) confirmed this and said "sorry". Tonight I pulled the rocker cover..all looked well. Cranked the engine with a dial indicator on the rpcker arms...all were equal. I pulled then rocker arm assembly..all looked well. I pulled the push rods and rolled on my marble flat table...all rolled perfect. I put a straight edge across all of the valve stems as they are now in a fully seated position (no rocker arms installed)...the straight edge spanned all 6 at once and all were level. Unless there is damage at the valve seats all appeared ok. I have not been able to find a diesel valued compresion gauge locally yet.
Here is the new discovery. I pulled the exhaust manifold off. Cylinder 1 (front) has a little black soot. Cylinder 3 (rear) has a little black soot. Cylinder 2 has that same black soot but looks as if it was sprayed with a thick coat of clear coat. The clear coat feels tacky but not wet. Anybody have thoughts?

When you get the spec's for putting the overhead back together, set the valve cover back on, leave the exhaust manifold off, swap #2 injector with #1 and start the engine, and see which cylinder is making the most smoke.
Sorry I didn't jump in here soon and told you to take the exhaust manifold off first, might have save you some work. Sounds like cylinder 2 got the oil drink, which might have damaged #2 injector. Hopefully that's all that got damaged. Cross your fingers and hope that cylinder 1 smokes after swapping the injectors, if it does, swap 1 & 3 injectors, if 3 now smokes, replace the injector.

/ Rolled my Yanmar EX3200 and have questions #28  
When you get the spec's for putting the overhead back together, set the valve cover back on, leave the exhaust manifold off, swap #2 injector with #1 and start the engine, and see which cylinder is making the most smoke.
Sorry I didn't jump in here soon and told you to take the exhaust manifold off first, might have save you some work. Sounds like cylinder 2 got the oil drink, which might have damaged #2 injector. Hopefully that's all that got damaged. Cross your fingers and hope that cylinder 1 smokes after swapping the injectors, if it does, swap 1 & 3 injectors, if 3 now smokes, replace the injector.

I just read this thread and find this to be the best advise, I fixed a bobcat last week that took a tumble down a mulch pile and fared much worse as they tried to start it right away, when the customer called on the estimate I jokingly told him I just told the wife to "take the burgers back and get steak, we got a big one"

Hi guys, Have not had the chance to get out to the shop again so tonight I will get back out. SSDoxie, I will get try the solder/piston clearance tip tonight and thanks for the info on the engine ID 3TN????- I found some info on the internet but still no pure engine info like torque specs and clearances.
are all the same internally. And boomer1025 tip on swapping the injectors is interesting, I will do that as well. I will let all know the results. Thanks!!

/ Rolled my Yanmar EX3200 and have questions #30  
Hi guys, Have not had the chance to get out to the shop again so tonight I will get back out. SSDoxie, I will get try the solder/piston clearance tip tonight and thanks for the info on the engine ID 3TN????- I found some info on the internet but still no pure engine info like torque specs and clearances.
are all the same internally. And boomer1025 tip on swapping the injectors is interesting, I will do that as well. I will let all know the results. Thanks!!

TDR if you can't find the solder, you could use your dial indicator to check piston travel with a piece of wooden dial rod.