Rollover paranoia

/ Rollover paranoia #1  

Stephen D

Tractor
2016 Kubota B3030
This post is not to criticize the safety minded out there amongst you. Far from it, as I'm a lucky guy that rolled his tractor and survived it four years ago. My issue is wondering whether the "respect" that the incident instilled in me is proportional to the actual risk. My Kubota B3030 was the first and only tractor I've bought. Total noob guy. I was backing while moving dirt, hit an unexpected mound of dirt and rolled. The built in ROP of the cab protected me, and the door glass contained me and prevented entrapment or limb loss. My first thought laying there in the shattered glass was turning the motor off (fire), then getting out. Once I was standing outside looking at the dead tractor carcass, I wondered whether any of my neighbors were out and had seen me due to the potential embarrassment. I was all alone. Then it dawned on me that I had no cell phone, my wife was away, and had I been trapped it would have been about a 5 hour wait for her to find me. Then the fear set in. Totally preventable. I think the root causes were ignorance of both proper technique and the risks, rushing, and overconfidence. I happened to have an excavator on site, so I just chained the Kubota and flipped it upright. To my surprise there was absolutely zero damage besides the shattered door glass.
To my point- now I'm so nervous on most of my almost exclusively non-flat property that I'm hesitant to use the tractor for many things. I think remember the spec on it saying ok up to 12 or 15 degrees, but the worst slope anywhere I'd encounter is 11-12 degrees and even that gets me really anxious. I think the spec is for a bare tractor, not one with a FEL, belly mower, etc. so it doesn't help me feel any more confident. I tried leaving the belly mower installed to lower the CG but it was interfering enough that I opted to take it off. Not looking for a how-to or strategies for transiting hills, counterweighting, FEL tactics, etc. (Now) I've watched all those videos, which is why I admitted my ignorance as a factor in my accident.
Did I buy the wrong tractor? (kind of a narrow front axle) Am I unreasonably cautious? Is there such a thing? I considered getting an alarm/inclinometer to at least let me know when I'm reaching the nominal limits, kind of as a training aid to better know when nervousness is called for. It's almost like a fear of flying scenario situation. so, alarm or therapy? That's the Mrs., not me.

Tractor.jpg

/ Rollover paranoia #2  
Let me start by saying two things:

1.) I am by no means an expert
2.) I'm glad you lived to tell the tale.

I don't think you bought the wrong tractor, more just a little gunshy after your near miss. However, if an alarm/inclionometer will set your mind at ease and get you back to work, then by all means, go for it.

Remember, keep the load low and the speed way down. Just a question, when this happened did you have a counterweight on the rear?

/ Rollover paranoia #3  
If you don't feel comfortable, don't do it. I left part of a slope uncut a couple of weeks ago because I'm not comfortable on it. Not going to risk my life just to cut a few weeds on a hillside.

With a lighter tractor like yours that has a cab, I'd suspect it could be rolled more easily by a simple mound of dirt.

/ Rollover paranoia #4  
Glad you survived the roll over unscathed. I too have the same paranoia. I have started using my ballast box on the rear for the smallest loader jobs I used to say, I will be careful on. Once you get one of the rear wheels up it quickly gets very tippy.

/ Rollover paranoia #5  
No you not being stupid being cautious and for good reason. Learn from your mistake and wear the seatbelt. Like already said a cab hurts stability a little so you just have to work up to what slopes you can work and what ones you can’t. Wheel spacers, loaded tires and proper ballast help.

/ Rollover paranoia #6  
The front axle does not contribute to the tractor's stability because its on a pivot. Yes there's a stop but I think in most cases when you hit the stop you're close to rolling it if not already rolled.

It looks like you could space your rear tires out some if there is clearance to the mower.

My land is really steep, the average slope is around 30%. There's a lot of places I don't operate on. I almost rolled my B7100 when a bank under a front tire let loose. The ROPS hit a power pole and stopped it from going over. If I'd been a foot off it'd have crushed me against the pole. My Branson has smaller tires and wheels from a different model (lower CG), rear spacers, and beet juice ballast in the rear tires. It's way more stable than the B7100 was. Bransons are also heavy for their size and I think that helps. I stay farther away from drop offs now.

/ Rollover paranoia #7  
I would wonder how high was your loader bucket and how loaded was it, were you turning at the same time?
I can easily make any of our loader tractors feel tippy, Backing up while turning with the bucket carrying a load,
hit the brakes to change direction any of them will feel a bit tippy.

/ Rollover paranoia #9  
Carry low - go slow. There are a few areas on my property where me and the tractor will only go straight up/down the slope. NO sidehilling. I couldn't care less if it takes longer to get the job done.

AND - BTW - I'm all by myself out here. NO cell phone service either. Just "one bridge to far" from the closest cell tower.

/ Rollover paranoia #10  
I don't think you're being overly cautious. One fear I have is rolling my open station tractor in the woods and being crushed up against a tree. I'm especially cautious in and around trees, my ROPS won't save me in that situation.