Rollover protection

/ Rollover protection #1  

nebraskasparks

Gold Member
Tractor
2010 Kubota L5740 HST and JD X734
Wanted to thank everyone for their inputs. I've been able to get up to speed quick with excellent advice and practical experience. I noted that lots of us are buying new farm machinery that is more powerful and better than the last machine. All wonderful work aids but the physics change and farming or small acreage goofing around is still a dangerous job. I was an accident investigator for the USAF years ago and picking up the remains of a good friend still stick with me even though it's been 23 years ago.

About four years ago I nearly lost a jubilee loading wood and I had only raised the bucket what seemed another few inches and the tractor literally leaped sideways and I literally bailed off and for some reason (God is still protecting us from ourselves) the tractor balanced on two tires. It took three minutes before I could even get close to that machine again.

A rops bar and a seat belt statistically show a 99 percent survival rate for rolling a tractor. The rops bar without a seat belt usually does a good job of finishing you off if you don't wear the belt. Examples are easily found online.

I've posted some web sites on tractor safety that I've found. I'm still looking for a weight and balance guide for farm machinery if anyone knows where it may be found. I find the new machinery manuals very infantile and the information that's needed most are the slope angles and weight and balance recommendations.

The following stuff I found on the net is pretty general. If anyone knows of any specifics...I'd love to know where it's at.

Thanks

The following publications are available at your county Extension office and at the EDIS Web site, < EDIS - Electronic Data Information Source - UF/IFAS Extension >.

(IFAS Publication Numbers are in parentheses after the titles, followed by the Web address to access the publication.)

* Get Started on the Right Foot: Dangers of Bypass Starting (AE299) (On the Web at: ABE300/AE173: When Two's a Crowd: Dangers of Extra Riders on Tractors .)
* Filling Gas Cans Safely (AE301) (On the Web at: ABE301/AE174: Filling Gas Cans Safely .)
* Lighting and Marking Farm Equipment for Road Travel -- Summary of ASAE Standard S279.10 (AE302) (On the Web at: ABE302/AE175: Lighting and Marking Farm Equipment for Road Travel -- Summary of ASAE Standard S279.10 .)
* Road Safety for Tractors (AE303) (On the Web at: ABE303/AE176: Road Safety for Tractors and Farm Machinery .)
* Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Rollover Protective Structures (ROPS) (AE304) (On the Web at: ABE304/AE177: ROPS FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions about Rollover Protective Structures .)
* Avoid The Invisible Hazard: Know About Soil Shear Lines (AE305) (On the Web at: ABE305/AE178: Avoid the Invisible Hazard: Know about Soil Shear Lines .)
* Shortcuts are Shortsighted! or Invest Seconds, Save Lives (AE306) (On the Web at: ABE306/AE179: Shortcuts are Short-sighted! or, Invest Seconds, Save Lives .)
* Ready or Not? Get Ready with a Tractor Operator Checklist (AE307) (On the Web at: ABE307/AE180: Ready or Not? Get Ready with A Tractor Operator Checklist .)
* Yee-Haa! Formula for a Successful Tractor Rodeo (AE308) (On the Web at: ABE308/AE181: Yee-Haa! Formula for a Successful Tractor Rodeo .)
* Hand-me-down Hazards: Dangers of Used Equipment (AE309) (On the Web at: ABE309/AE182: Hand-me-down Hazards: Dangers of Used Equipment .)
* Safety Tips for Tractor Loading and Towing (AE310) (On the Web at: ABE310/AE183: Safety Tips for Tractor Loading and Towing .)
* Safer Tractor Operations for Agricultural Employers (Circular 1249) (On the Web at: CIR1249/AE195: Safer Tractor Operations for Agricultural Employers .)
* Safer Tractor Operations for Privately Owned and Operated Farms and Ranches (Circular 1250) (On the Web at: CIR1250/AE196: Safer Tractor Operations for Florida's Privately Owned and Operated Farms and Ranches .)
* Safer Tractor Operations for Acreages and Homeowners (Circular 1251) (On the Web at: CIR1251/AE197: Safer Tractor Operations for Home and Acreage Owners .)
* Safer Tractor Operations for Landscape Maintenance and Horticultural Industries (Circular 1252) (On the Web at: CIR1252/AE198: Safer Tractor Operations for Landscape Maintenance and Horticultural Industries .)
* Safer Tractor Operations for Emergency and Rescue Personnel (Circular 1253) (On the Web at: CIR 1253/AE199: Safer Tractor Operations for Emergency and Rescue Personnel .)
* Safer Tractor Operations for Farm Workers and employees (Circular 1254) (On the Web at: CIR1254/AE200: Safer Tractor Operations for Farm Workers/ Employees .)