Rollover reducing implements

/ Rollover reducing implements #11  
[The correct term for this is that the tractor "rotates about its rear axle".]

"Mater" calls this "tractor tippin'". Not a good thing.

Reg has a good point. If you are going to do any amount of logging, then get yourself a skidder winch. You can get a "beater" at an auction for $300 - $500 ($3,000 - $4,000 new). Put on a fresh 1/2" X 150' cable for $50 and away you go...carefully.

Also. get a "snatch block". Its an opening block that the cable runs through, which is fastened to a standing tree. Used to pull out logs from tight spots that you cant get a direct pull on.

/ Rollover reducing implements #12  
SO many places you can get a 150 ft cable to where the tractor can't get to, though getting STUCK seems to be a pastime with some folk here.

Then there is the "getting back through the muck" problem.
Too wet and mucky to drag the load through, so drop it on the dry side, freewheel the winch, drive across, lower the winch, bring it to Ya.

/ Rollover reducing implements #13  
I can't begin to count the times I've heard that so-n-so flipped a tractor on themselves skidding logs. Even veterans manage to flip over backwards. Often they are skidding too fast and the butt end of the log hangs up on a stump, another tree or in a ditch. The front of a tractor comes up mighty quick in a situation like that!

Having the rear tires drop into a ditch can cause the tractor to go over backwards if too much weight is transferred to the rears. Then there's going over sideways when a rear tire runs up onto a stump.

Do follow the advice above .... Learn all you can before you get in the woods and in a situation that surprises you.

/ Rollover reducing implements #14  
I agree Ted, it IS a whole skill set unto itself & I am NOT good at it.
I do try to consciously foresee every possibility and fortunately every unforeseen one so far has not had dramatically BAD consequences.
IOW, with just about everything that has gone an unexpected way I have "lucked out" on, either minor accidents or lucky breaks (failures that resulted in better than expected results).

I am still very concerned for anyone new to tractors taking on even minor logging as an early project.
Just too many variables that in combination can add up to disaster.
I hope the O/P can get someone to go out with him a few times, even someone who knows less than he does, just as another pair of eyes that can criticize constructively and has a cell phone handy.

/ Rollover reducing implements #15  
Another point to remember, ALWAYS align the back of the tractor directly to the log you're going to pull. If you try to pull with the tractor at angles to the log, it will pull the tractor over.