Grapple root grapple: bradco vs. loflin

/ root grapple: bradco vs. loflin #11  
psuedofarmer, take a look at Skid Steer Root Grapple. The heavy duty 81" root grapple is what I use with my 7520 Mahindra. If you want this style of grapple, it's hard to beat for the money. I have had no problems with it of any kind. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif But then I have only used it on weeds, brush, small trees and the occasional boulder. Anyway, I thought that I would give you another brand to look at that is more reasonably priced. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Good luck, Brian

/ root grapple: bradco vs. loflin #12  
Brian, nice link. This stuff looks well-made, and in just the kind of price range I was talking about. They have a "Standard duty" grapple with 3/8" tines vs. 1/2" for $1,350 in the 72" size. ("Heavy duty" 72" is $1,600). That goes a long way toward making a grapple a whole lot more affordable (not to mention getting it past the CFO).

John

/ root grapple: bradco vs. loflin #13  
Worksaver has a couple of nice looking root grapple offerings as well. I believe there are a few TBNers that have one.

/ root grapple: bradco vs. loflin #14  
You know on second thought, I don't think the Worksaver root grapple is right for you. The reason I can say this is that I am pretty sure you ground is similar to mine. And if I was shopping for a grapple rake I would definitely want sifting capabilities. I mean we live in the "Granite State" right? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Something to keep in mind. You may want a close set of teeth on the bottom, depending on the size of material you want to let pass through.
Good luck with your decision,
Phil

/ root grapple: bradco vs. loflin #15  
I have the worksaver grapple and for me it works great.I tried
a minure fork with grapple but i didnt like it. But i am moving
trees and tree rubbish, not sifting

/ root grapple: bradco vs. loflin #16  
John, I am wondering why you are looking for another grapple? Is your Bradco grapple that much different from the Skid Steer type? Just curious /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Brian

/ root grapple: bradco vs. loflin #17  
Brian - I can see how you might think that I'm in the market for a grapple, but my sole purpose in opining about, and asking about, more "economical" grapples is to try to help others get into the grapple game without having to pony up 3 grand (tax included).

I couldn't be happier with my Bradco, which I bought after a long, drawn-out, agonizing, deliberate, contemplative, soul-searching, intense and altogether draining study of just about every grapple ever conceived by man. How I missed the Worksaver and the Loflin, I'll never know - all I can say is, thank god I still prefer the Bradco. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for: <font color="blue"> Is your Bradco grapple that much different from the Skid Steer type? </font> Man, the terminology surrounding grapples sure is confusing. "Brush grapple", "root grapple", "demolition grapple", "rock grapple", "skid-steer grapple", "compact tractor grapple", and I'm sure I'm leaving some out.

To me, my Bradco could easily fall into 3 or 4 of those categories. "Skid-steer" because it weighs about 800 lbs. and uses the universal "Bobcat-style" quick-attach system. "Brush grapple" because it excels at grabbing and carrying brush, and has lower tines that are specifically designed to slide under brush. "Root grapple" because it'll rip roots out all day long. "Compact tractor grapple" because that's what "Worksaver" calls their similar grapple, and it goes well with an 853 loader.

Anyway, I guess my point is, it doesn't really matter what name a grapple goes by - just study it for what it is, how much it weighs, how wide the jaws open, how the jaws are shaped, how much volume it has when the jaws are closed, how closely spaced the tines are, particularly the bottom ones (good point about "sifting"), price of course, clamping force maybe, single top jaw vs. dual, and just basically "hey, does this thing look like it'll work for what I want to do?". If the answer is yes, then there ya go. Whip out your credit card and start enjoying one of the most productive attachments a CUT can have on it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

/ root grapple: bradco vs. loflin #18  
John, I now understand what you were doing. I also realize that you use the grapple that you have for work. Thought that maybe you wanted a more reasonably priced one for home use.
It kills me to see a weekender spending top dollar for commercial duty implements that will never be used to even 1/2 of there capability. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Brian /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ root grapple: bradco vs. loflin #19  
I've been reading up on all the posts on grapples along with reading what the various brands offer from all the links you guys have provided. Thanks for those.

The more I look at them, the more I wonder why would you need to have a grapple that both halves open, or if they both opened, why couldn't they be linked together so you wouldn't have to add another set of hydraulic cylinders.

Does this already exist? Has anybody seen this? And most importantly, why wouldn't it work?

Eddie

/ root grapple: bradco vs. loflin #20  
Eddie,

I've wondered the same thing. You would use the normal loader controls to open and close the grapple like a clam shell. This would alleviate the need for expensive remotes/diverters/solenoids etc. I've thought about sitting down and trying to design something like this, but there must be a reason someone else hasn't done this already.

Any ideas/suggestions about this type of design would be appreciated.

Keith