Root grapple for a Grand L 4240 / LA 854

/ Root grapple for a Grand L 4240 / LA 854
Unfortunately, delivery of the heavier grapple to the dealer had already occurred, and the cost of restocking and return freight was too costly. However, I have used it successfully since obtaining it. No doubt that a few hundred lbs. less weight would be preferable. On the optimistic side however, perhaps it will provide a reason to buy a skid steer some day . . . . .

/ Root grapple for a Grand L 4240 / LA 854 #12  
Unfortunately, delivery of the heavier grapple to the dealer had already occurred, and the cost of restocking and return freight was too costly. However, I have used it successfully since obtaining it. No doubt that a few hundred lbs. less weight would be preferable. On the optimistic side however, perhaps it will provide a reason to buy a skid steer some day . . . . .

I hope you can at least give your dealer some feedback. You might point out to him that literally half of your lift capacity goes to simply lifting the grapple off the ground.

Tractor dealers and grapple manufacturers are notoriously naive about sizing of grapples for CUTs and always seem to mislead customers into buying heavier, wider and more expensive implements than ideal. The essential error is in equating a CUT with a skid steer. Skid steers always have much more powerful loaders for a given horsepower engine size.

/ Root grapple for a Grand L 4240 / LA 854 #13  
If your using it for mostly brush you won't even notice the extra weight having an effect. You'll max out out in space before lift capacity. I'm sure you'll notice it if your going after larger/heavier objects but you'll still find the grapple more useful than you could have ever imagined

/ Root grapple for a Grand L 4240 / LA 854
IslandTractor said:
I hope you can at least give your dealer some feedback. You might point out to him that literally half of your lift capacity goes to simply lifting the grapple off the ground.

Tractor dealers and grapple manufacturers are notoriously naive about sizing of grapples for CUTs and always seem to mislead customers into buying heavier, wider and more expensive implements than ideal. The essential error is in equating a CUT with a skid steer. Skid steers always have much more powerful loaders for a given horsepower engine size.

To be certain, there was a lengthy, albeit somewhat chilly discussion with the dealer about this issue prior to the decision to keep it. You are absolutely correct in your assessment about the dealer's naiveté and error. My error in judgment was perhaps being a little tardy in doing my homework. On a good note, at least I am certain the dealer's mistake was unintentional. However, had I been previously aware of this site/forum, and the incredible depth of knowledge that you and others graciously provide, I'm certain I'd have a different grapple. Far from a complaint, just a reminder to myself of the old adage that "knowledge is power". Thanks again to all those who contribute.

/ Root grapple for a Grand L 4240 / LA 854 #15  
I agree with Piston, for routine brush clearing having an oversized grapple is not a problem. The larger size will make digging and carrying stumps/rocks etc a bit of a problem. Bottom line is that any grapple is better than no grapple.

/ Root grapple for a Grand L 4240 / LA 854 #16  
I had a 4ft one on a Kubota M7040. I have sold the tractor and attachments, having moved, but I would buy that size again.