Root ripper ?

/ Root ripper ? #11  
daBear said:
What about using a sub soiler on smaller tree stumps. I am about to use a subsoiler to run 1" water pipe and will also try and pop out a few small (6" or less) stumps.

I have used a subsoiler/middlebuster with great success on smaller stumps, and to cut some roots on bigger stumps. Can't just drive around them, but if you can back up to either side from a couple different angles this works pretty good.

I have a backhoe now, and am running into the same issues that the OP mentiones with larger stumps and roots. I was going to sharpen the edges of the bucket to help out, but I have also seen rippers made for the "caddigger" line of plans built backhoes. MetKit Corp - Home Page sells a pre-cut kit for the caddigger that may be adaptable to your backhoe. Look under the "new products" section on their website. I have thought that perhaps a ripper in place of the bucket might make the de-stumping go a little easier/quicker.

/ Root ripper ? #12  
The right tool for the job.... if you're lookin' at small stuff --- 6" or less --- then a 3pt mounted ripper would do the job without wreckin' your tractor. A couple of swipes around either side of the stump and pop it out!

I still use my ripper on small stumps and brush. Works great. Anything above 6" and I strap on the hoe!

And 3 foot Oaks ---- I'd want a REAL hefty unit on the other end of the ripper! The top link mounting bracket would be 3/4", too.

Frost ripper on the backhoe...? I've seen the utility companies use 'em and I can't see the real advantage over using the regular hoe bucket. If you really want to modify your BH to work better on stumps --- get a thumb.

Best of luck.

AKfish

/ Root ripper ? #13  
you can also place a blade on one side of the bucket that sticks up about 3 inches higher then the side so that it is higher then the teeth when curled. The iger machines have these and they are used for just this pourpose. That way you still have the bucket to dig and that to cut the roots. Wont be as good as the ripper but it will be bettter then using just the bucket.