Rope for pulling trees over

/ Rope for pulling trees over #31  
Thats a good point, probably good idea to go over your plan and hand signals with your helper.
In all respect to wives, mine helped stretch some fence with the truck. I signaled for her to give it a little pull. Nothing happened??? So I went up to the window and found that the brake was on. So we started all over. This time when I signaled to pull a little, she gassed it and pulled all the post out of the ground.:confused3:

/ Rope for pulling trees over #32  
In all respect to wives, mine helped stretch some fence with the truck. I signaled for her to give it a little pull. Nothing happened??? So I went up to the window and found that the brake was on. So we started all over. This time when I signaled to pull a little, she gassed it and pulled all the post out of the ground.:confused3:

Okay, that's funny :laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ Rope for pulling trees over #33  

That needs to go into a movie somewhere... :drink:

/ Rope for pulling trees over #34  
I can definitely recommend getting the 'right' rope. I tried to fell a tree near a garage, it had too much weigh ton one side (unkown to me part of it was hollow making it VERY unbalanced though it was only leaning a little). I used a ladder, put a rope pretty high up, got it all rigged up to pull with a vehicle and made the cuts. I got it so there was maybe an inch left and it was barely there and my saw got stuck. I figured I'll just pull with the truck to get it to go. Well when I pulled the rope broke, the tree swayed, but did not fall - but was clearly going for the garage. It wasn't safe to use a ladder again to try and get a high rope on it and I did not have any rope strong enough for the job. It ultimately ended up falling directly on the garage. I spent the rest of the day on the garage cutting the tree off and then patching the holes in the roof and fixing the siding... lesson learned, now I only use very heavy duty chain.

/ Rope for pulling trees over
I never found a 30' strap exactly like i want. I am still going to get one.

I am revisiting the rope idea too.

I was going to order this one but it is out of stock. 11,800 break strength

Bailey's - 9/16" BlackMAX DB Yellow Bull Rope

My second choice was this one. 10,400 break strength

Bailey's - 1/2" Samson Stable Braid Blue Bull Rope

Then I got to thinking about amsteel blue again:confused2: I know with a rope if you tie a know it can reduce its strength between 20 and 40 percent. Splicing it doesn't hurt it in most cases. The amsteel blue has a thimble on it or one on each end. So if I went with the 3/16 amsteel to stay on my budget:eek: How could I attach it to the tree with out reducing its strength? Then it would be about as strong as the other ropes I mentioned with a knot in them. If I got one with a hook and pulled the rope through the hook would it greatly reduce the strength? My other idea is a short tow strap and hook the amsteel to that. Any other ideas?

/ Rope for pulling trees over

Then I got to thinking about amsteel blue again:confused2: I know with a rope if you tie a know it can reduce its strength between 20 and 40 percent. Splicing it doesn't hurt it in most cases. The amsteel blue has a thimble on it or one on each end. So if I went with the 3/16 amsteel to stay on my budget:eek: How could I attach it to the tree with out reducing its strength? Then it would be about as strong as the other ropes I mentioned with a knot in them. If I got one with a hook and pulled the rope through the hook would it greatly reduce the strength? My other idea is a short tow strap and hook the amsteel to that. Any other ideas?

/ Rope for pulling trees over #37  

In addition to the Amsteel Blue winch rope that I bought for my ATV I bought an Amsteel Blue 100' 5/16" winch extension. This winch extension rope does have permanent thimbles woven into each end. It also has nylon protective sleeves on each end that can be slid to protect this rope. This rope is very tough. Although I do slide the line protectors down when cinching a log I think this rope is tough enough to go without the nylon protector. It is called a rope but it really isn't a rope. It's much stronger than steel, has less stretch than steel, and lasts longer than steel. It is a bit pricey. But I've been using mine for a few years now with no noticeable sign of wear. It's much easier to work with than steel cable. It was a good investment for me.

/ Rope for pulling trees over #38  
Amsteel blue is great stuff, but you can get by with standard logging rope in 5/8" or 3/4" and it will still last a lifetime for most of us. Sampson makes good logging rope, but expect to spend about $1.20-2.00 per foot. Also get a pulley block so that you can pull in a direction away from the fall or use it to increase mechanical advantage (or get two pulleys if you want to do both). And then some shackles, and a tree strap or towing strap for anchoring. I spent about $300 on all this stuff a few years ago, and it was money well spent. I use an old duffel bag to stuff my rope into to keep it clean and tangle free.

Putting long rope in a bucket is a secret tip! Do this all the time with long rope (300ft+) for shrimping, etc. amazingly stuffing the rope in a bucket when hauling it in and it never tangles!

/ Rope for pulling trees over #39  
Have you ever used a wedge? Takes the place of a rope any day. When was the last time you saw a faller use a rope? Wedges can make a tree leaning the wrong way fall where you want it to fall. Look on utube. Good stuff amigos!!