ROPS and my apple trees

/ ROPS and my apple trees #21  
Depending on how steep, I’d remove your ROPS. My GR2120 is not much different in size and power than your tractor yet it has no ROPS.

/ ROPS and my apple trees #22  
I bought a second tractor small enough to mow under my apple trees. With 4wd, this 18 hp Yanmar has nearly the pulling power of the 24 hp one, but the PTO power is notably less. It handles the 4 ft rotary mower fine but it struggles with the rototiller which was designed specifically for the larger tractor.

I offset some of the risk of no ROPS by adding substantial wheel weights. (Subsequent to this old photo).

See my sig photo, below.

/ ROPS and my apple trees #23  
When I mow my orchard, I fold my ROPS down or I can't go near the trees. The orchard is flat so I can't see a problem with this, and I put it back up when leaving the orchard area.

/ ROPS and my apple trees #24  
When I mow my orchard, I fold my ROPS down or I can't go near the trees. The orchard is flat so I can't see a problem with this, and I put it back up when leaving the orchard area.

The problem I now have is trying to mow under my apple trees. I can’t get within 4 feet because the folded rops hits so many branches.

Keep in mind that some don't fold down all the way. Mine only goes to an angle that isn't much lower that full upright, but sticks out a lot farther to the rear adding to clearance issues. Also, it's heavy and awkward to raise and lower.

/ ROPS and my apple trees #25  
Keep in mind that some don't fold down all the way. Mine only goes to an angle that isn't much lower that full upright, but sticks out a lot farther to the rear adding to clearance issues. Also, it's heavy and awkward to raise and lower.
Sorry, I thought it was clear I don't know how to read o_O

I still can't get all the way in, but in my case, though, "it's an orchard" and it's good enough for me, then my wife gets the line trimmer and makes it good enough for her

/ ROPS and my apple trees #26  
You might consider a walk behind brush cutter for limited service areas like this. I bought a DR brush cutter (used $500) and it worked well in hard to reach areas. Now I use a front mounted mower. And I always use eye protection so I don't get poked in the eye by a branch.

/ ROPS and my apple trees #27  
And that's why we have mind mounted ROPS over here. They basically fold completely and work in conjunction with a smaller arch behind the seat. Either the back of the seat or this arch behind will be the highest point when the ROPS are folded. Very handy when working on orchards.

Attachments

• IMG_20180705_121758.jpg
    IMG_20180705_121758.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 134

Attachments

• IMG_20200307_151640.jpg
    IMG_20200307_151640.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 103

/ ROPS and my apple trees #28  
Just a thought... when I bought my ZTR years ago, salesman said that ROPS were required on units weighing over 500 (?) pounds. BTW, mine has a foldable ROPs and it’s a commercial unit.

/ ROPS and my apple trees #29  
I’ve seen some low tank-like dedicated orchard tractors. Orchards are not operator friendly. Had M5030DT full size tractor that had 6 post ROPS steel Laurin cab. Previous owners sons knock out all the glass. It felt like driving a tank.

For our woods, walnut. Pecan(limb shedders) apple, pears and plum trees want a 4 post ROPS and canopy. Saved a lot headaches from drops. Hornets and wasp drunken from binge drinking fermented juice seem to zero in on you less.

Leave the ROPS alone and try a 3pt mower. Reach 4’ to your ROPS backing up. They’re much tougher mower to handle orchard mowing.

I maybe wrong but I thought folding ROPS down was just for hooking up equipment or storing in low clearance equipment sheds. Never meant for an operation mode in any environment.

/ ROPS and my apple trees #30  
I agree with others that I would not modify the ROPS at all. Not even drill a hole. Given flat ground, however, I'd have no issue removing the ROPS if you have no other uses for the tractor.

Having said the above, what I probably would really do is get a zero turn mower. Way faster than a tractor and gets you a couple feet lower even with the ROPS up.