ROPS Lights

/ ROPS Lights #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
I'd like to have a set of work lights on the rops of my tractor. Their primary purpose is to give me additional illumination for for moving snow at night. My wife's position requires she be able to leave at any and all hours. I have occasion to deal with fresh snow at 3 in the morning. I don't want anything permanant as I have to mow close to a lot of overhanging branches in the summer and was thinking magnetized bases would work best. I can run them directly off the battery.
I've searched HF and NT with little success, which was suprising.
Has any one run across such a critter?

/ ROPS Lights #2  
I saw magnetic at Tractor supply a year ago when I was considering my own lights. I ended up mounting to bottom of ROPS with little protective cage. So far, so good.

/ ROPS Lights #4  
I found these magnet base utility hangers at Princess Auto...
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8105868/Magnets/Magnetic-Utility-Hook
I just mounted my 55W flood lights on them, they hang very solidly on the bottom of my ROPS, almost takes 2 hands to yank them loose.
maybe you can find something similar in your area.

Pete

/ ROPS Lights #6  
I made a set that hang under the ROPS that clamp on. I made a frame that wraps around the top and both sides of the lights out of 1/8" steel so there's no chance of them getting damaged. I was going to remove them in the spring but never did because of how rugged they are.

/ ROPS Lights #7  
I found some fairly strong magnets at Harbor Freight and used them to mount some auto fog lights. They worked ok, but despite my having to grab on like I mean it to yank it off, they will slide and twist off fairly easily. Some of that is the shape of the ROPS, but it is a downside.

I only intended to use mine like you suggest, but I left them in place and have managed to yank one off completely and had the other far enough that I need to fix wiring, and did it on branches that were not all that large. Now that I know I want them there, I will probably do something more permanent and figure out a shield of some sort.

/ ROPS Lights #8  
Deere and tree house 008.jpg

I put mine under the ROPS so branches can't get at them unless they get through me first!!!:laughing:
They are permanent though.

/ ROPS Lights #9  
I don't see a loader listed or a front blade. If that is right, then if it was mine I would mount them on the lower front side panels. That way they would be safe from all or at least most damage. This is similar to the Ford Ns and the Ferguson TO and TEs. They would be close to the battery and if you used a solenoid you wouldn't have to run but one wire to a grounded dash switch.