Rops

/ Rops #1  

2640JD

Tractor
JD 2640
does anyone know of the height a Rops should be? I'm building my own with a Femco canopy. Just not sure were to cut uprights, obviously dont want to be banging my head getting on and off! The tractor is a JD 2640 utility with a 146 loader.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tim:confused:

/ Rops #2  
This doesn't answer your question but I have to share it!:eek: What I can tell you is that on a Kubota M4800 2WD the height from the ground to the top of the ROPS is right at 2" shy of the opening of a 8ft overhead door opening! Unfortunately, that's about 1" too high to clear the overhead door bottom section when it's adjusted normally in the open position! :eek: I think you're getting the picture now, right? When coming into the shop at 2.4 mph :rolleyes: my reflexes are not fast enough to keep from destroying the bottom section of the door! Fortunately, I know a guy in the business and he just happened to have an extra bottom section laying around. All I had to do was go pick it up.:D Another of those lessons learned! I realize that what you're looking for is the measurement from the seat base or floor board up but I just had to share.

Jay

/ Rops #3  
I run a small fab shop, and over the years I have moved rops all over the place so I say sit ont he tractor and have someone measure to your head when you are stand ing at your highest point as you get off then add a little to be safe and you should be okay the garage door issue is an important one too , this is the great part about doin it for yourself eh? you only need it to work for you and not 600,000,000 potential buyers

/ Rops
I run a small fab shop, and over the years I have moved rops all over the place so I say sit ont he tractor and have someone measure to your head when you are stand ing at your highest point as you get off then add a little to be safe and you should be okay the garage door issue is an important one too , this is the great part about doin it for yourself eh? you only need it to work for you and not 600,000,000 potential buyers

Thats my thinking, but thought I would ask to see if there was a concenus on the height issue. Machine shed doors are not a issue with this rig, since doors are 12'!
Thanks

/ Rops #6  
Some things to think about:

- if the tractor's upside down, what will support the weight? Hopefully the ROPS, but what up at the front of the tractor? Then draw a line between the two and compare with where your head might be. That's why 2-post ROPS are so tall, to get that line up above your head even after things are bent down under the weight of the machine.

/ Rops
Some things to think about:

- if the tractor's upside down, what will support the weight? Hopefully the ROPS, but what up at the front of the tractor? Then draw a line between the two and compare with where your head might be. That's why 2-post ROPS are so tall, to get that line up above your head even after things are bent down under the weight of the machine.

Good point, I'm really not concerned about rollover protection just support and positioning of canopy.;)

/ Rops #9  
If it would help I have a new and unused 4 post rops from my Deere 110 tlb that I removed when I installed the Laurin cab. Yu can have it for the shipping costs. It can be easily dissassembled to reduce the shipping dimensions. If interested stop by your local dealer and measure the rops on a 110 backhoe to see if it will work for you.

Steve

/ Rops
If it would help I have a new and unused 4 post rops from my Deere 110 tlb that I removed when I installed the Laurin cab. Yu can have it for the shipping costs. It can be easily dissassembled to reduce the shipping dimensions. If interested stop by your local dealer and measure the rops on a 110 backhoe to see if it will work for you.

Steve

Thanks for the offer, I have all steel ready and waiting for final welding once I decide on a height!:confused: