Rotary cutter: Can we fix it?

/ Rotary cutter: Can we fix it? #1  

rmaa

Early this spring, we got a used rotary cutter. The words are worn off, but with the little that is left, we figured out it was a Buhler Farm King 510, who knows what year, but it pretty used, though not too rusty.

It was working good, but was doing several acres of pasture cutting today and suddenly heard a rattling. Stopped the PTO and took it back to the house. When we manually turned the shaft, we can see the blades are not turning (uh-oh). It was too hot to take apart tonight, but trying to get an idea of what we will find when we do..... Any ideas what we can expect?

BTW, we have never done this before, but are fairly handy with our hands. Since we bought it used and old, would rather try to do it outselves instead of taking it somewhere...... Or buying a new one :eek:

/ Rotary cutter: Can we fix it? #2  
Check where the PTO shaft connects to the input shaft of the gear box. Most rotary cutters, especially older models, have a bolt there called a shear bolt. If you hit something solid with the blades, that bolt breaks instead of tearing up something else. Sounds like that could be your problem.

/ Rotary cutter: Can we fix it? #3  
If the shear bolt is broken, replace it as already suggested. But, before you start using it again, be sure to check the gear oil. If it's low, that may be partly why it's getting so hot.

If the shear bolt doesn't fix it, then you have some serious problems with the gear box. :(

/ Rotary cutter: Can we fix it? #4  
so what'd ya find?

soundguy

/ Rotary cutter: Can we fix it?
Check where the PTO shaft connects to the input shaft of the gear box. Most rotary cutters, especially older models, have a bolt there called a shear bolt. If you hit something solid with the blades, that bolt breaks instead of tearing up something else. Sounds like that could be your problem.

Thanks everyone for the info! Really hoping it is just this shear bolt... I looked up what could possibly be the manual and see where that is located and will be the first thing I check.

/ Rotary cutter: Can we fix it?
so what'd ya find?

soundguy

Sadly, it is Monday and we are back to work :laughing:

Once we have time to check it out, I will post, hopefully with news that it was the bolt and not another question on what we need to fix! With it getting dark fairly late now, we might have time during the week to check it out, otherwise it will be the weekend.....

/ Rotary cutter: Can we fix it? #7  
If it is the gearbox contact Agri-Supply, my cousin has had some good luck with their replacement gearboxes. He runs a repair business and he won't even work on a mower gearbox anymore, he says he can buy one from them for less than what the parts and his time is worth.

/ Rotary cutter: Can we fix it? #8  
Sadly, it is Monday and we are back to work :laughing:

Once we have time to check it out, I will post, hopefully with news that it was the bolt and not another question on what we need to fix! With it getting dark fairly late now, we might have time during the week to check it out, otherwise it will be the weekend.....

that's what flashlights are made for!!! can't tell you how many times i've been out in the barn working by flashlight or trouble light :)

the mating spot for the driveshaft youke and the mower input shaft is where you should see a shear pin if it is a round shaft and not a splined shaft. some mower driveshafts have 2 oposed plates with a shear bolt betwixt them as well.. old servis mowers are like this..

soundguy

/ Rotary cutter: Can we fix it? #9  
that's what flashlights are made for!!! can't tell you how many times i've been out in the barn working by flashlight or trouble light :)
Exactly my thought! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
DevilDog

/ Rotary cutter: Can we fix it? #10  
yep.. if you don't have to be outside doing something with a flashlight.. then you probably have too much time on your hands.. :)