rotary cutter down in 4.8 hours

/ rotary cutter down in 4.8 hours #11  
If the tractor pto stub spins.. and the mower driveline spins.. but the mower stalls out.. then the coupling at the shear pin may be sheared but retaining the pin ends.. or as other s mentioned.. a keyway may be sheared.

If the tractor pto stub stops.. then i would think pto clutch.

Soundguy

/ rotary cutter down in 4.8 hours
thank you all who responded....unfortunately it is the worst news. It is the pto and not the cutter. Live pto engaged at lowest setting just spins. My buddy, old timer/Kentucky pig farmer, says he has never seen a pto clutch break with such extremely low hours. He also observed me doing my bush hogging yesterday and said there is no way this is my fault, low gear, high setting of cutting, proper pto speed. I am just sick at this moment as he has explained to me the extreme process of fixing a pto clutch.
Toby

/ rotary cutter down in 4.8 hours #13  
Sorry to hear about your problem. it DID sound like a slipping pto clutch. The only time I have seen one go out that fast is when a 'too-long' pto shaft was used and it pushed the bearing carrier in a bit and then popped some snap rings int he pto section.. letting the pto clutch disintegrate. This was on my stepfathers JD 2240 ... wasn't quite a fun job R&Ring his ind pto clutch.. but was a learning experience.

Soundguy