Rotary Cutter - Gear Box Lubrication?

/ Rotary Cutter - Gear Box Lubrication? #21  
On my cutters, the top unbolts very easily. I opened the box and put in two tubes of grease, then after a day I opened it again and looked to see how much is in there. That's how I got started to see what it needs.

You need enough just grease that it's getting everyware, shafts, bearings ect., that's all that's necessary.

SR
Thanks for that great advice! I suspected it just needed enough to cover the gears, but was confused as how to tell when it had enough; if'n I was pumping it in via a grease gun. I never thought about the simple answer of pulling off the top of box - and that in itself looks easy to do. Then I could just kind of scoop it out of the tube and drop it right into the box.

/ Rotary Cutter - Gear Box Lubrication? #22  
Take a razer knife, cut the metal end off of the tube, then cut the tube lengthwise in two spots to remove about 1/3 of it.

The whole stick of grease will usually fall right out of the tube, "clean" if not, I use the plastic cap to clean out what is left behind.

SR

/ Rotary Cutter - Gear Box Lubrication? #23  
if you care about preserving the equipment and its leaking have the bottom seal repaired. most manufacturers recommend 75/90 not cornhead grease.