Rotary cutter mess

/ Rotary cutter mess #11  
Hmmm, PaulB, the only thing my B7100 was ever back to the dealer for was the front end loader slowly lowering itself, even with the engine running. The dealer first rebuilt the boom cylinders and when that didn't correct the problem, they finally replaced all four cylinders (under warranty). Sounds like you might have some leaking seals. I've forgotten the numbers, but there is a certain amount of droppage that is considered within the acceptable range. Now I too have wondered about the 3-point, but I've never had a problem in that regard with either of my Kubotas. I set the height on the rear wheel of the rotary cutter, then set the front height with the 3-point, usually just about level, although I may lower the front end just a bit to cut faster, or raise the front end just a bit to mulch the material more. And I've mowed continuously for up to 5 hours without touching the 3-point lever.

Bird

/ Rotary cutter mess #12  
Being a tractor owner wannabe, (I think my Miata also lusts for/after MChalkley's Dodge, but that is another (rather wierd) topic) /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

I use a fancy dancy 20hp Scotts 50" cut mower for my yard. Got a GREAT deal on it, paid about $850 and they are at Home Depot for around 3,000. It had been returned.

Bought it last fall, got out this spring to cut and did so once or twice. New construction gives me lots of rocks and such, so I figured, let's check out the blades and make sure all are sharp.

Imagine to my surprise when I found that the blades, all 3 of them were installed backwards/upside down such that they were cutting with the blunt end of the blade! Also, the wingtip was pointing down which helped it hit about every rock I had.

Now I know why the HD manager was giving such a great deal, he must have had it returned 2 or 3 times from angry customers saying that it won't cut worth a damn. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Wasted $7.00 to sharpen them, put them on right side up, and now have a WONDERFUL cut from the machine, don't hit half as many rocks as I had!!! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

(Not to imply your blade is backward, but who would of thought?)

The interesting thought is, last fall and so far this spring, I was MORE than pleased with the cut (while the blades were upside down) Though it didn't mulch very good, I just figured the grass was to long. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Richard

/ Rotary cutter mess #13  
My B7100 came with a single check chain on the left lower link. I think the manual said something about using it to "transport" implements. Too much trouble for an old man, I just never used it or saw a need for it, but I guess if the 3-point had "leaked down" I would have used it./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird

/ Rotary cutter mess #14  
<font color=blue>The interesting thought is, last fall and so far this spring, I was MORE than pleased with the cut (while the blades were upside down)</font color=blue>

Yes, amazing how well any metal object spinning at that speed will cut grass! I've had my share of fun with mower blades after mowing about 8 AC for years and years.

msig.gif

/ Rotary cutter mess #15  
PaulB your tractor is not right it might just be a bum o-ring. Your loader should not be going down! Your three point should not drop either. Set up a time now to get it done, Walt should be able to warrantee it for you.

/ Rotary cutter mess #16  
Richard - Boy, wouldn't that spawn (sorry) a whole new crop of "Whaddaya git when ya cross a..." jokes?

Mark

/ Rotary cutter mess #17  
PaulB, when you say "slowly", what kind of time are we talking about here? FWIW, there shouldn't be any difference in this time whether the engine is off, idling, or running full speed.

Mark

/ Rotary cutter mess #18  
Mark, Art - what I mean is that if I set the loader 2 feet off the ground, with the tractor shut off, the loader is on the ground within I would say 4-6 hours, certainly overnight. Normal or not?? Art, if you really think this is a problem, I still have 10 months on the warrantee, so it should be no biggie, right? For warrantee work, will you send a truck out to get it from my house?

/ Rotary cutter mess #19  
PaulB - No, that's normal. There's no such thing as a perfect seal, and when either cylinder seal or the valve spool seeps a little, the loader will drop all by itself, again, whether the tractor is running or not.

Mark

/ Rotary cutter mess #20  
PaulB

The 3 point (that has position control) should stay very firmly fixed and not leak down. That will set the front end of the mower. You are correct about adjusting the rear wheel, but you only do it once. Setting the rear higher than the front takes less HP and allows smaller tractors to pull larger mowers. Setting the deck level give a good mulching action. Setting the front a little higher than the back gives good mulching and prevents the skids on the mower from digging up the grass! Mowers 101? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I have not had a loader that did not leak down a little. The Kubota is not noticable except in a 24 hour period. I am told that it is the valves rather than the cylinders that allow this. It has never been a problem because it take many hours to leak down. However; my Dad's JD does not appear to leak down at all after 24 hours. Better Valves on Big Green? /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif