Rotary Cutter Question

/ Rotary Cutter Question #1  

Bluesteel

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT 357HC
I recently bought a used 6' TSC rotary mower. Almost new condition. Guy only used it about 20hrs mowing down grass a couple times for a new home. It probably wouldn't be my first choice but I couldn't pass it up for 1/2 price. I'm only cutting pasture grass and very few small saplings so I figured it would do what I wanted. Used it several hours yesterday. Mower operated and cut good. It has shear bolt which after I replace it about 5 times I'm not much a fan of. One time I hit an old tractor inner tube which sheared it, no big deal. Couple other times didn't hit much at all and it sheared. #2 grade shear bolt.

Now to my question. I have some oil coming out of the gear case vent plug. Not much but it does run down the outside of the gearbox onto the deck. I checked the gearbox and it does have oil, maybe too much? Or is the vent plug bad for some reason? I put Teflon tape on the threads before I used it. I did not add any oil as the gearbox was full. The oil is coming out of the vent and not the threads. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.

Probably going to add a slip clutch. Also, I think the cutter has an abrupt engagement when you hit the PTO at low rpms. It's pretty smooth when mowing, no shaking. I'm thinking it has to do with the blades being slung out.

/ Rotary Cutter Question #2  
I don't think the gearbox needs to be full. I would try to find an owners manual online and see what level the gear oil needs to be. Probably about half full.

/ Rotary Cutter Question #3  
Too much oil. Most boxes are 1/2 to 3/4 full.

/ Rotary Cutter Question #4  
There should be an overflow plug on the side of the gear box , takes an allen wrench on my bush hog . On my Kubota tractors I have a pto lever which I can slowly engage so you don't get that abrupt start up , not sure what your set up is .

/ Rotary Cutter Question
I was thinking probably too much oil. I do have the owners manual. I know there is a smaller plug about half way up the gearbox. I believe that is the level it is suppose to be at. HEC, mine is an electric actuated PTO so there no way to feather the PTO on. It seems so violent on start up I'm shocked it doesn't shear the bolt. Thanks for all the quick replies.

/ Rotary Cutter Question #6  
I was thinking probably too much oil. I do have the owners manual. I know there is a smaller plug about half way up the gearbox. I believe that is the level it is suppose to be at. HEC, mine is an electric actuated PTO so there no way to feather the PTO on. It seems so violent on start up I'm shocked it doesn't shear the bolt. Thanks for all the quick replies.

You are correct on the side level fill plug. Usually gear box fill level covers half the input shaft. Vent is working properly. Gear box was probably overfilled.

Your PTO operates like an independent PTO. Either on or off. No way to feather it to my knowledge.

/ Rotary Cutter Question #7  
You didn't say how old it is - only hours of use. The reason I bring this up is that if it sat outside for a winter or two, even if it was under cover, there's a good chance that the oil level is too high due to water in the oil, from condensation. The water will sit at the bottom of the gearbox until the unit runs, when it will mix with the gear oil. If the gearbox hasn't spun for a day or two, draw some fluid off the bottom of the gearbox by using a tube and a vacuum pump, syringe, turkey baster, whatever you can find. Take a good look at that oil & see if it has any water in it. If it does, then empty the gearbox completely and refill with the oil specified in the owner's manual.

/ Rotary Cutter Question
You didn't say how old it is - only hours of use. The reason I bring this up is that if it sat outside for a winter or two, even if it was under cover, there's a good chance that the oil level is too high due to water in the oil, from condensation. The water will sit at the bottom of the gearbox until the unit runs, when it will mix with the gear oil. If the gearbox hasn't spun for a day or two, draw some fluid off the bottom of the gearbox by using a tube and a vacuum pump, syringe, turkey baster, whatever you can find. Take a good look at that oil & see if it has any water in it. If it does, then empty the gearbox completely and refill with the oil specified in the owner's manual.

About 1 year old. I drained at least 16 oz of oil out of the gearbox until it was just a trickle out of the small hole. The oil looked good. Very good point on the condensation. I will let it sit a few days and draw some oil off. I take it to drain the gearbox you have to suction the oil out? Thanks for the great info.

/ Rotary Cutter Question #9  
I'm guessing you TSC cutter is probably made by Taylor Pittsburgh like my LS cutter is. If you have the manual, it will tell you how to check the oil level.

Mine says remove the vent plug, and remove the plug on the side of the gear box. Gearbox should be fill just until oil flows out the side plug. If you pull the side plug and oil gushes out, it is over filled.

Are you engaging the PTO with the engine at PTO speed? That will damage sheer pins as well as other expensive parts. My LS R3039R manual says to engage the PTO at idle. Then slowly increase engine speed to PTO speed.

/ Rotary Cutter Question
I'm guessing you TSC cutter is probably made by Taylor Pittsburgh like my LS cutter is. If you have the manual, it will tell you how to check the oil level.

Mine says remove the vent plug, and remove the plug on the side of the gear box. Gearbox should be fill just until oil flows out the side plug. If you pull the side plug and oil gushes out, it is over filled.

Are you engaging the PTO with the engine at PTO speed? That will damage sheer pins as well as other expensive parts. My LS R3039R manual says to engage the PTO at idle. Then slowly increase engine speed to PTO speed.

The TSC cutter looks the same as a Tarter more than the Taylor/Pitt. I drained oil to the appropriate level so I think I have that taken care of. I'm engaging at idle rpm. The electric actuated PTO makes for the abrupt start. Have to live with that I guess. Not sure if the slip clutch would help with that or not.