Rotary Cutter Selection Assistance

/ Rotary Cutter Selection Assistance #11  
If the OP doesn't intend to cut grass and needs to operate in woods and between rocks, I'm wondering if this might be a good job for a rough cut flail mower? Where is Leonz when you need him? Not sure if mulchnig sapplings is an appropriate job for a flail.

/ Rotary Cutter Selection Assistance #12  
I recently purchased a Bush Hog 285 (5'), which is one step up from the standard Squealer (?) model. I thought it was what I wanted; dry painted, 120 hp gear box, thicker deck metal, taller sides, just overall heavier duty. The dealer asked what size tractor I owned, and when I told him- TC33DA, with fel, he commented that the tractor would have it's hands full.....he was right! I also use a Quick hitch which throws the cutter approx. 6" further back. It isn't a problem, but I would not want any less tractor weight, or more cutter weight. I wouldn't even try to cut without the fel bucket. While I like the heavy duty stuff, the dry paint was what I was really after, about all I do now is cut pasture.

In the process of trading, tractors and tools, moving up a few hp, and going to 6' tools. I went back to the Woods Brush Bull; due to it's design, the Woods will shed the cut grass off the top MUCH better than the Bush Hog. I also previously had Modern, which is built like the Bush Hog. I think all three are good cutters, the decks rusting out was the reason for replacement (the Woods did last about 1 year longer). If I wasn't cutting in mud, they seldom got washed, but sweeping grass off the deck was necessary for the Bush Hog & Modern.

Heard of the slip clutch "locking up", after a few years, and non maintenance, (which is one of my faults) for that reason, I preferred the shear bolt shaft. The 285 only came with a clutch, so I kept my old shaft off the rusted Woods, but never installed it. Don't even know if it would swap.

/ Rotary Cutter Selection Assistance #13  
All the other TBN members have pretty well covered the suggestions and issues in regards to aiding and assisting you in making a decision. I would like to add one note utilizing suggestive thought. Before you mow, walk the area beforehand and spot the areas of concern that have large rocks or abandoned equipment or trash that might have been dumped on the property. If you have access to an ATV, this will provide a means to expedite the task faster. Just carry a can of RED spray paint with you and mark the areas of concern. By doing this, you will lessen your chances of damaging your mower and your tractor. Best wishes.

Last edited:
   / Rotary Cutter Selection Assistance
Sorry for waiting so long between posts, but shortly after starting the thread my need went to zero in a hurry. You see, I only needed this to maintain some trails where we allowed our dog to run free. Unfortunately a very fast growing tumor stole him from us. How a very healthy dog with no symptoms can go from 100% one day to being consumed with a massive tumor that the best surgeons couldn't remove is still painful nearly 5 months later.

Flash forward...
After adopting another rescue dog I stumbled on a barely used LandPride RCR2672. It's big and heavy and does what I need.

Thanks for all that shared their advice in this post.

/ Rotary Cutter Selection Assistance #15  
Nice find! That is one of the mowers that was on my (very) short list. It should provide you with many years of service.

/ Rotary Cutter Selection Assistance
Here's a picture to complete the thread. I don't think I mentioned this earlier. It has a PTO slip clutch.
Cutter on Tractor - large.jpg

Attachments

• Cutter on Tractor - small.JPG
    Cutter on Tractor - small.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 94
   / Rotary Cutter Selection Assistance #17  
   / Rotary Cutter Selection Assistance #18  
That is too bad about your dog. I've been through a lot with my 3 and have come close to losing 2 of them. Anyways, congrats on the mower, that is a great mower from what I have read on here (no personal experience).

I had been searching for a used heavy duty brush hog for a while, and the RCR2672 was one of the 4 or so I was looking for. I finally found a Brown 472 which is similar, and let me say, it is incredible the difference between my old Woods BB60 light duty model, and this cutter. I never knew difference would be so great. You made an excellent choice!

/ Rotary Cutter Selection Assistance #19  
I was going to start a new thread but this one looks like a good one to ask about a similar question. I have a Woods MD160 that I think it is time to replace. Bought new in 2000. Doesn't leak and not much of any signs of rust yet but I am wanting to replace it while it still has some trade in value. Anyway, I have been looking hard at the SQ160 Bush Hog and the BB60 Woods. Those both weigh a little over 600 pounds each. I am putting it on a TT45A New Holland. This is a 40 HP tractor. Mostly use for mowing CRP and trails. Would never try to cut anything more than a couple of inches. I have one dealer that has told me he would trade for 1025.00 including the slip clutch and front chain on the SQ160 and two other dealers are basically at 1600.00 trade difference on an BB60. Hard to trade for the Woods if I can get the SQ160 for 575.00 less but I am wondering if the SQ160 is built as tough as the BB60. It does weigh a few pounds more but it just doesn't look as solid at the tail wheel to me. Any suggestions or experiences would be helpful. Thanks!