Rotary cutter slip clutch?

/ Rotary cutter slip clutch? #1  

Agrantina

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3240 GST
I have a King Bee 5ft cutter with a slip clutch. My question is that when I hit something, example a dirt mound and the clutch slips- I am guessing it does I get a bad vibration for a few minutes and or I have to stop disengage the PTO and start again. I can't see anything on the springs or clutch it self that looks wrong- any ideas on whats wrong. It is a brand new cutter..

AndyG

/ Rotary cutter slip clutch? #2  
It sounds like your blades just might not be resetting; slip clutch will have no effect after the impact.

/ Rotary cutter slip clutch? #3  
Brush mower whack an ant hill or mole whoopsie:laughing:

I have a King Bee 5ft cutter with a slip clutch. My question is that when I hit something, example a dirt mound and the clutch slips- I am guessing it does I get a bad vibration for a few minutes and or I have to stop disengage the PTO and start again. I can't see anything on the springs or clutch it self that looks wrong- any ideas on whats wrong. It is a brand new cutter..

AndyG

Edit: forgive the question but was the limited slip clutch adjusted by you after they delivered it?

You want to run the brush mower until it stops and adjust it accordingly to add resistance.

I will agree with Triple R about this; If you are creating a dust storm when wacking dirt piles or ant hills the clutch may have a lot of dirt in it and it requires a bit more patience on your part.

Use some isopropyl alcohol to clean the clutch, if you can use a bit of compressed air to blow off the dust and be sure to wear goggles please;).

leonz

/ Rotary cutter slip clutch?
It sounds like your blades just might not be resetting; slip clutch will have no effect after the impact.

That sounds more like it- blades not resetting? It runs really smooth while cutting, but as everyone know those ant hills are everywhere. What does the blades resetting actual mean? I would guess they would just have to sling back completely back out. If this is the case then I am good with continuing cutting and not stopping every time. I have not adjusted anything since i bought it with the tractor. Only has 30 hrs on it.

AndyG

/ Rotary cutter slip clutch? #5  
Assuming and you know what they say about that, that the slip clutch is set properly, the vibration is from the blades not going back out to full extension and causing an imbalance.

It "should" settle down again, but sometimes for whatever reason mine won't until I either shut it down and restart it or hit something else.

I agree with Leon that you need to check your slip clutch and I would even jack the cutter up and check to make sure everything is OK under there.

Some people think a slip clutch is maintenance free, but I have the broken gear boxes to prove otherwise.

/ Rotary cutter slip clutch? #6  
Mark the edge of the clutch plates and discs. lead pencil, magic marker, doesn't matter. Go back out and re-create your scenario. Stop and observe the marks. If they've not moved, your clutch is not slipping. If they have, you might want to tighten things up a half turn or so. Repeat the experiment until no more tightening is required.

//greg//

/ Rotary cutter slip clutch?
I will try that, makes good sense. After seeing what others have said that is a easy way to check to see if the clutch is spinning.

AndyG

/ Rotary cutter slip clutch? #8  
And to add, I usually get the blades to extend by revving the tractor rpm to max momentarily. One of the blades can fold back and not be loose.

If not, then shutting down and re-engaging usually does it.

Agree with others on slip clutch not being the problem, but should check the performance. (I hadn't thought of that marking procedure to do so....good idea)
And I'd adjust it tighter if it is slipping, and not pour anything on the clutch faces. That would be me, anyway. :)