Rotary cutter slows down or stops in high grass

/ Rotary cutter slows down or stops in high grass
It's a John Deere 5050. Thanks. You have saved me from replacing a gear box that sounds like it doesn't need replaced. I kept thinking it might not be the cutter but the tractor. With only 250 hours I will check adjustments. I don't ride the clutch so it will be nice to figure this out. I really appreciate all the help.

/ Rotary cutter slows down or stops in high grass #12  
(With a two-stage clutch depressing the pedal part way will disengage the PTO. All the way depressed will also disengage the engine from the transmission.).

that's incorrect.. drivetrain gets clutched first...

i'm thinking a 5xxx series jd has independent pto

/ Rotary cutter slows down or stops in high grass #13  
does that jd have ind pto? if so.. and it is not engaging all the way.. the pto clutches can ruin in a mattter of minutes... i know some use a hyd clutch and if a pickup tube gets clogged.. it starves hyd pressure.

if the driveshaft fromt he tractor actually stops turning.. you may be in for it.

good luck..

It is independent. (I think). I am hoping that it is not fully engaging. The tractor itself has full power. I have a roll of tree tape I tossed over the engaging handle a few months ago and I am thinking the roll of tape may have caused the pto to not fully engage.. I guess it is a process of elimination.

/ Rotary cutter slows down or stops in high grass #15  
the problem with them not engaging fully is they slip.. and when they slip they wear... quickly...

good luck!

No, I gave wrong number. Sorry it is 5105. I am pretty mechanical. Just not a tractor guy. The advice I have gotten is great. I probably messed up and had the roll of tape over the engage handle. Didn't fully engage pto and burnt up clutch. This is my guess. I need to go to my real job tomorrow and am having a hard time not going to tree farm and see if I can adjust linkage to see if it engages better. I am a few miles from a dealer. I might just have to take it there if replacing clutch is difficult. Again thank you.

/ Rotary cutter slows down or stops in high grass #18  
i've replaced a hyd pto clutch in a jd 2240... it wasn't a HARD job by any means.. but it wasn't a FUN job either. parts ran around 800-900$.. required a rear split.. 2 days of work. did have to have the dealer who sold me the parts work on one piece with a special tool. some spring loded pack as I recall. been a few years.

good luck.

hope it isn't burnt up... hopefuly you noticed in time ...

/ Rotary cutter slows down or stops in high grass #19  
If it's a JD 5105, Not a JD 5105M it has a two disc clutch, one traction and one for the PTO. It will not have the hydraulic multidisc wet PTO clutch. The engagement lever will not have any bearing on the PTO clutch operation. It is possible you do not have the PTO engaged (by the lever) and the PTO shaft has enough friction to spin until it has load on it.

/ Rotary cutter slows down or stops in high grass #20  
lets hope that is what it is....