Rotary Cutting Need to Knows!

/ Rotary Cutting Need to Knows! #12  
I use a Woods Cadet 72 for trimming and a John Deere HX10 for large areas and roadside mowing. I'm getting rid of the Cadet because I rarely use it now, I highly reccomend the HX10 though, its a great mower.

/ Rotary Cutting Need to Knows! #13  
I use a Woods Cadet 72 for trimming and a John Deere HX10 for large areas and roadside mowing. I'm getting rid of the Cadet because I rarely use it now, I highly reccomend the HX10 though, its a great mower.
I also recommend Deere HX & CX mowers. Theres a new lineup now. But if you want a used rotary cutter, the HX & CX are great.

/ Rotary Cutting Need to Knows! #14  
I will warn that my 72 hp Ford tractor will power the HX10 but its not happy about it. John Deere says that it can be run with as little as 45 hp which is complete BS, no way a 45 hp tractor could do anything except move it around the yard. I also wouldn't use the HX10 with a 3 pt hitch on less than a 100 hp tractor, its a very heavy cutter.

/ Rotary Cutting Need to Knows! #15  
1987 I bought an old tractor, then a Bush Hog 105. My land included two small "meadows" totaling ten acres. 1946 the land stopped being used for cattle. By 1967 it was overgrown with 8" cherry trees. those trees were cut down & left there. By 1987 when I bought it each stump had sprouted 8 to ten 4" diameter suckers & they each lay on the ground a few feet before going vertical. They averaged 25' tall. Between the cherry was a jungle of Honeysuckle bushes. It was so dense it wasn't possible to walk through.
Clearing this was an overwhelming job for old equipment. I spent the summer every weekend in a rotation between mowing & repairing. My beater Bush Hog now has as much weld filler as original steel! I've replaced main shaft on the gearbox twice, countless blades, several oil seals, & welded/reinforced multiple breaks. Twisted the PTO shaft inside the tractor transmission, & broke it another time.

Advice is you want to select your hog to match the job. If you are only going to mow weeds & grass, a light duty mower will do.
I prefer shear pins over a slip clutch. Machine can take a severe beating whaling a rock at 1000 RPM blade speed.
I'd insist on a stump jumper, a bowl shaped device blades are attached to. It helps get over a stump or rock & helps (somewhat) to keep stuff from winding around the blade shaft & ruining your gearbox oil seal.

/ Rotary Cutting Need to Knows! #18  
1987 I bought an old tractor, then a Bush Hog 105. My land included two small "meadows" totaling ten acres. 1946 the land stopped being used for cattle. By 1967 it was overgrown with 8" cherry trees. those trees were cut down & left there. By 1987 when I bought it each stump had sprouted 8 to ten 4" diameter suckers & they each lay on the ground a few feet before going vertical. They averaged 25' tall. Between the cherry was a jungle of Honeysuckle bushes. It was so dense it wasn't possible to walk through.
Clearing this was an overwhelming job for old equipment. I spent the summer every weekend in a rotation between mowing & repairing. My beater Bush Hog now has as much weld filler as original steel! I've replaced main shaft on the gearbox twice, countless blades, several oil seals, & welded/reinforced multiple breaks. Twisted the PTO shaft inside the tractor transmission, & broke it another time.

Advice is you want to select your hog to match the job. If you are only going to mow weeds & grass, a light duty mower will do.
I prefer shear pins over a slip clutch. Machine can take a severe beating whaling a rock at 1000 RPM blade speed.
I'd insist on a stump jumper, a bowl shaped device blades are attached to. It helps get over a stump or rock & helps (somewhat) to keep stuff from winding around the blade shaft & ruining your gearbox oil seal.
you need a heavier bush hog lol. Those little shear pin models just aren't made for it. The ones with slip clutches can usually take more abuse, and then you don't have to deal with shear pins. Though for that kind of field a mulcher is more appropriate.