Rotary Mower blades sharpening

/ Rotary Mower blades sharpening #21  
Franz,
Got any pictures of that rototiller rebuild using the car springs? Got one to rebuild and that sounded like a good idea. Very good steel as far as wear I would imagine.
Nick

/ Rotary Mower blades sharpening #22  
My family owns a couple spring shops and we had farmers coming in and asking for old spring leaves. They would make bushhog blades out of them. They said they only needed one set unless they really got into some thing. Also had a guy who make knives out of scrap spring steel.

/ Rotary Mower blades sharpening #23  
There was an article in FarmShow a few months ago about a guy that cut a door into the deck of his shredder to sharpen the blades. He cut a section out of the back, made some tracks and used the cut out section for the door. Looked like a good idea to me.

/ Rotary Mower blades sharpening #24  
While others elected not to post the technique used to weld up their blades, I'll simply say I hardface my blades. I have predominately sandy soil, and it does not take long to wear or erode out a set of blades. I had been building up the old blades, with a filler rod, then putting down 2 or so passes with a hard facing rod, and then grinding them back to shape and sharpness . They have worked out extremely well. Especially on my high lift blades on my JD L & G tractor, which would split or fork on the ends after just one season. I merely weld in the lift area with hard face, now I get a couple of seasons. From previous posts I compain a lot about prices some dealers charge, and JD is among the top gougers in my area. $47.00 for 2, 19 3/8" for a 38" mower deck blades is rediculous. But I can change my blades on my bush hog (Hardee 52" Tiger Cub) for $13.00 each, and these blades are approximately 1/2" x 4" x 18" in size, as compared to the JD mower blades which are about 1 1/2" x 19 3/8" x about 3/16".

I was shown a neat idea by a friend. Use the old blade, and cut off the worn out sharpened ends, and buy those small hay cutting blades and attach them on the old blade with grade 8 bolts. These blades do not create a windrow, and just merely cut and lay the grass down in place. They don't have a lot of lift, but its sufficient in most cases, and the price is right, and they are reversible so you get two cutting edges out of each section.

I had also experimented taking a worn out blade, and making a pivoting end like on a bush hog out of them. I obtained a pretty good supply of new odd ball blades all of the same size, which I cut the ends off and drilled to allow installation of a bushing and grade 8 bolt for a pivot, and attached these to the original blades whose ends were removed so it was basically a flat piece of spring steel stock. While they worked it was more of a pian in the butt to drill holes in these blades, than it was to build up a new or used blade with a hard face rod.

/ Rotary Mower blades sharpening #25  
Chipmaker,

I too have sandy soil and a long gravel driveway and had a lot of trouble with the lift portion of my blades splitting and wearing out before the cutting surfaces did.

I ordered a set of "gater blades" from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://agri-supply.com>http://agri-supply.com</A> and they are great. You don't get quite as much lift as the original ones but they outlast them 3 to 1.

The gaters for my mower were about $8.00 each and they have the OEM John Deere blades for about the same price.

BTW, what kind of rods did you use to hard face your blades with?? I wouldn't mind doing that on my bush hog blades.

TBone

/ Rotary Mower blades sharpening #26  
Re: DONOTDELETE'S comment concerning 120v welders- speak for yourself- a Miller Cricket 90 amp mig does a fine job on a blade with .22 wire for good penetration and assuming you don't wear the edges back to the full thickness of the blade- I can see that on a brushhog, but I've got a 5' MF finish belly mower-I like to stay on top of the edges for a good cut and have no problems re-facing the blades with 120v. You can't just use any old outlet in the workshop; too much voltage drop. I use a 10-3 "extension" cord with breaker box right from the sub panel to keep her running hot. I've seen service shops using big 220v rigs with the most ridiculous ac power inputs- tried to use one like that once and it didn't perform anywhere near as well as my little Cricket. Like they say, "it's not the size, it's how you use it". Standard wire is plenty hard, it does need to take impact well. And balancing is second nature to sharpening, so what's the difference? it's an hour drive to the Massey dealer, and I don't want to price blades till I have to- rather spend 12 bucks on a roll of wire at the local hardware store. Something like copper plate or old ceramic tile makes a good flow stopper for the bottom side if you re-level it first with the angle grinder. Getting ready to spend some time on it now as one of the kids left a log chain in a thick clump of grass and got all three blades.