rotary mower for bx series

/ rotary mower for bx series #11  
Sorry guys I didn't see this thread before I started a new one. I was just about to buy a used woods 42" rotary cutter and the guy selling doesn't know if he's got a slip clutch or not. I haven't seen it yet I'm going in the morning, can anyone tell me what to look for?

/ rotary mower for bx series #12  
Sorry guys I didn't see this thread before I started a new one. I was just about to buy a used woods 42" rotary cutter and the guy selling doesn't know if he's got a slip clutch or not. I haven't seen it yet I'm going in the morning, can anyone tell me what to look for?

I posted a picture on your other thread, you can see the slip clutch with the adjustment nuts/bolts by enlarging the picture.

/ rotary mower for bx series #13  
I have a BX 2660 Kubota and am trying to decide which rotary cutter to buy. I manage vacant properties and sometimes the first cut is rough! The grass can be thick and up to 7 feet tall an saplings 2-3". Usually the lot size is 1/2 acre up to two acres. Also, unsure if it would be wiser to purchase a DR Brush Cutter rather than a 3 point attachment for my Kubota.
I have only had my Kubota 1 year and would like to hear some advice. Thanks

I have similar conditions, and have been considering a bush hog for next year.

Anybody mow this heavy of brush (1-3") with a BX? Any good videos online of a bush hog on a BX in rough terrain? Ive searched and found next to nothing.

/ rotary mower for bx series #14  
Anybody know if 775.00 is a good price for a woods rcc42 cutter ? He doesn't seem to know if he has a slip clutch or not and I haven't seen it yet. He said he paid a couple hundred extra for the drive shaft so I'm assuming it has one. It looks to be in good shape only used three days.

/ rotary mower for bx series #15  
I have similar conditions, and have been considering a bush hog for next year.

Anybody mow this heavy of brush (1-3") with a BX? Any good videos online of a bush hog on a BX in rough terrain? Ive searched and found next to nothing.

These things aren't meant for such heavy mowing, even our RCR2672 makes a heck of a racket and bounces around a bit on 3" stuff. The most I would cut with my BX is about an inch or so. In anything very heavy, you are going to tear your steering linkage up too. The BX has only about 8" of ground clearance and the tie rods are in front of the axles.

I bought some protectors from Bro Tek, but haven't installed them.

/ rotary mower for bx series #16  
These things aren't meant for such heavy mowing, even our RCR2672 makes a heck of a racket and bounces around a bit on 3" stuff. The most I would cut with my BX is about an inch or so. In anything very heavy, you are going to tear your steering linkage up too. The BX has only about 8" of ground clearance and the tie rods are in front of the axles.

I bought some protectors from Bro Tek, but haven't installed them.

Yeah.. I kinda knew that 3" would be far too much.. (why the heck did I post it then lol)
1" -1.5" is typical with the odd 2"

Good point on the BX's underbody. I'll have to build a set of skids. And figure out a guard for the steering.

The Bx probably doesnt even have enough weight to push down much more than a 1.5" sapling anyways? I found one video online of a guy on a small deere, but it looks like everything he was mowing was under 1/2" or so. I cant find much of anything else with a SCUT and a rotary mower

/ rotary mower for bx series #17  
I have a bx2360 with a TSC 48" rotary cutter and have been clearing the under brush on 22 acres. It handles 1-2" brush like it is not even there. I do not cut going forward but run in reverse I learned this from the landscaper that cleared the lot for our house. He only cuts by using the cutter to clear a path for the tractor to follow. It made sense to me and has worked great. By the way he is the one that talked me into getting the bx2360 and the TSC 48" cutter I figured if it was good enough for him it should work for me. I have run down a few 3" blueberry bushes and it did not bog the tractor or the cutter at all it will wake you up for sure but thats what a bush hog is made to do. All of our lot is wooded and thick with large 80-90' pines and oaks with heavy pepper bush underbrush. I used his larger rig to start out with but could not get around most of the trees so got the 48" and can get around the woods a lot easier . If I could figure how to post pictures on here with my IPad I could show you the results so far.

/ rotary mower for bx series #18  
Just watched the video you posted Scooby074 as it shows running backwards works very well. The 48" I bought at TSC is open in the back and front so goes over brush very well backwards. I left the back open and put a rubber shield across the front. One thing to ALWAYS remember when cutting brush is to be sure there is NO ONE near the area that could be hit by flying sticks most cutters say at lease 300' from buildings and people. You also want to run your tractor at the speed recommended to get 540 rpms out of your pto. For the bx2360 that's 3200 rpms.

/ rotary mower for bx series #19  
Yeah.. I kinda knew that 3" would be far too much.. (why the heck did I post it then lol)

Good point on the BX's underbody. I'll have to build a set of skids. And figure out a guard for the steering.

The Bx probably doesnt even have enough weight to push down much more than a 1.5" sapling anyways? I found one video online of a guy on a small deere, but it looks like everything he was mowing was under 1/2" or so. I cant find much of anything else with a SCUT and a rotary mower

The tractor does not push down on the 3ph, it just lets it drop so the tractor size or weight won't affect it. It's all the weight of the mower itself and any additional weight you might would put on top of it which I'd probably never do unless it's really light weight. Most bush hogs are fairly heavy.

/ rotary mower for bx series #20  

The tractor does not push down on the 3ph, it just lets it drop so the tractor size or weight won't affect it. It's all the weight of the mower itself and any additional weight you might would put on top of it which I'd probably never do unless it's really light weight. Most bush hogs are fairly heavy.

Thanks JT. I know there is no downpressure from the 3pt.. I was referring mostly to the tractor's ability to push down brush either with the loader or underneath of the tractor prior to being cut with the bush hog. Ie: driving forward over bush. I can see literally riding up on brush to the point where the front tires are off the ground, but I dont know if this happens in practice with a BX. I ran into this ALOT when I'd rent a DR or Billy Goat walk behind brush mower. Id run up brush so far the wheels would be off the ground.

Of course, you can do the backing up method as in my video above, but that doesn't seem the most productive.