Rotary Mower

/ Rotary Mower #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
I am looking for a bush hog (rotary mower) for my CK20HST. The spec book says a HST can swing a 60" mower. Others tell me to stick with a 48". Anybody out there use a 5' mower behind a CK20. I will be using it more for cleaning out fence rows, pond banks, and around treelines in fields. Not too much simple pasture mowing so speed is not an issue. I will probably spend most of the time creeping along chewing up weeds, vines, and small saplings.

Any opinions offered?

RSKY

/ Rotary Mower #2  
I had an old very heavy 5' on my b8200 kubota and it worked fine had to add some wieght to the front of the tractor but most of the time I just left the top link off and let the weight ride on the mower wheel. My suggestion is to try and borrow or rent a 5' mower and see how the tractor handles it if you are mowing steep banks you may want the lighter 4' mower.

/ Rotary Mower #3  
I have a ck20hst and I use a 5 foot landpride finish mower. Mowing around the hill the mower will scoot the back of the tractor sideways. The tires are loaded but the mower is heavy. You will want to be careful mowing around a hill.
Be safe

/ Rotary Mower #4  
I suggest you go for the 5' cutter too.
Worst case is you may have to take partial width passes in thicker brush. Transporting shouldn't be a problem, but as the two previous posters wrote, just be aware of the weight back there...especially in turns.

/ Rotary Mower
I was having second thoughts about the 5' as oppossed to the 4' mower. Since what I am going to be doing is cleaning up around the edges of fields and down fence rows I really don't thing it will matter that much. Just ease off on the pedal and slow down.

I will have the FEL on pretty much all the time and that should help on the front end weight.

Thanks for your input and would like to hear from anybody else using bush hogs with a CK20.

As usual TBNers come thru with info I needed.

RSKY

/ Rotary Mower #6  
I have been using a 4' King Kutter bh on my CK20hst for 6yrs. probably 200+ hours with no problems. I didn't get the 5' becuse I didn't plan to do much grass /pasture type cutting.
I got the 4' because I was going to be doing mostly heavy brush clearing, alot of saplings up to 3 and 4", I just back in slowly knock them over and chew them up. Also when cutting down trees and clearing the branches, I pile them up and back into them and mulch them up, much faster and easier than feeding my chipper.
I think with all that abuse I've only broken 4 shear bolts, not bad.
You need to check your machine frequently, I discovered this spring that my gearbox was out of oil. The bottom seal on the main shaft was torn by a piece of fence wire. That was not a lot of fun to replace.!!

So decide on your best use and buy the machine best for your planned uses.