Rototilling

/ Rototilling #1  

jtette

Tractor
2000 JD 4400
I just purchased a used rototiller that I will be using to till around 2 acres. I am tilling sod that has been treated with roundup. Basically I'm restoring my yard. Any advice on how fast I should move and at what RPM I should operate? I am pulling it with a John Deere 4400. The tiller is a JD 550. Thanks.

/ Rototilling #2  
Start out very slow and then adjust the PTO speed and forward speed to what seems suitable for your conditions.:D

Have some sheer pins available or make sure the slip clutch is adjusted properly.:D

And do have a little patience as it is slow going or so it will seem.:)

/ Rototilling #3  
I own a mahindra 2615 (26hp), What do you think the correct size tiller is? Does the 1'/5hp rule apply here as well? thanks Mike

/ Rototilling #4  
It all depends on how deep your tilling and how hard the ground is. My tiller is the only attachment that I run at 540 PTO. The slower you you go the fluffier the soil gets. If you go to fast the tiller will start trying to push the tractor and leave clods.
Bill

/ Rototilling #5  
it's sandy soil that was stripped about 12 years ago, pretty soft, might get into a couple if small sumac roots i hogged over this year.

/ Rototilling #6  
You should plan on going over the ground 2x. Once fairly quick going N/S. Then slower going E/W. Then optionally, about 2 weeks later, do it again. The second go round will incorporate the organic material into the ground better and kill off the weeds that sprouted.

/ Rototilling #7  
When I till with my JD870/660 tiller I run at pto rated engine speed and in the lowest slowest gear. With my 3520 ehydro/660 tiller I run at pto rated engine speed and 1/2 to 3/4 miles per hour. The slower you go the better results you will get. 3 to 4 passes should have it looking like potting soil.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Rototilling #9  
jtette - I would start out at the recommended speed to get your 540rmp and adjust down as you feel it is not putting any stress on the engine. I usually run mine at around 1800 - 2000 instead of 2500 on the tach. I aslo go as slow my tractor will let me go to get the best results. After a few passes you can go a little faster as the ground is loosened up. The slower you go the better the grasses are buried in the soil.

mbohuntr - I would get a tiller that is at least the width of your tractor 26hp should hand 5ft no problem.

/ Rototilling #10  
mbohuntr:

With sandy soil you should be able to handle a 60" tiller; just follow the suggestions found here. You definitely want to cover your tracks. Jay :)