Rotten 4x4 Cedar Posts

/ Rotten 4x4 Cedar Posts #1  

wsp617

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 1070
My in-laws put up a cedar privacy fence on one side of their property about 2-3 years ago. Over the last year nearly all of the cedar 4x4 posts have rotted off and broke at or near ground level.

I have not used cedar all that much primarily due to cost. Is this common?

The soil is black dirt on top of heavy clay so drainage is not good but I thought they should have lasted longer. The posts were buried and no concrete was used.

My thoughts on repair were to dig out all the cedar posts and use greeen treated posts for the supports and then try to stain them to match the cedar color. I see Menards sells green treated deck boards that come "pre-stained" to look like cedar color. I was wondering if they have the 4x4 posts in the same color. Another option I'll have to look at.

Thoughts?

/ Rotten 4x4 Cedar Posts #2  
Ya that is odd. Here in the northeast, ceder is commonly used for fence posts because it lasts forever. Last year I pulled out about a hundred cedar posts for my father in law so we could replace it with split rail. Most of the posts were still good, a few were rotten. Those posts were in the ground for 30+ years. My guss is that the ground in your case is really wet. Moisture is one of the biggest killers of wood.

/ Rotten 4x4 Cedar Posts #3  
I've replaced posts in bad areas before. What I've done is dip the posts in roof cement before burying them. Can't say how long they lasted but I never had any call backs.

/ Rotten 4x4 Cedar Posts #4  
Green treated posts would work, but I think there are different grades. Some work well for weathering in above ground situations but don't last in direct burial. Some are treated heavier with chemical so they work for long term direct burial. Make sure you get the direct burial kind or you may end up changing them again.:)

/ Rotten 4x4 Cedar Posts #5  
Find a sales recipt and return to where he bought them. Most have a guarantee....don't they?

/ Rotten 4x4 Cedar Posts #6  
cedar posts rotting out in three years? Something is really wrong here.

/ Rotten 4x4 Cedar Posts
The problem is it's not my project. I would probably just use the GT 4x4's.

At this pont they have a guy coming over from a fence company that's going to give them a bid on a new product. It's a steel post that is driven into the ground. I looked at the brochure they had at the house. We'll have to see what the estimate is. I'm thinking they're in for some sticker shock.

/ Rotten 4x4 Cedar Posts #8  
If you soak the buried portion in old oil or char the end it will last for 30 yrs plus.

/ Rotten 4x4 Cedar Posts #9  
How fast a post rots depends on whether it's sap wood or heartwood. If it is sap wood forget about it. Once the fungus in the soil get's into it, it's only a matter of time. Charring won't help. If you can get either osage orange or the marine grade CCA 2.5 lb treated posts, they'll outlast you. Locust won't last as long but it's good too.

/ Rotten 4x4 Cedar Posts #10  
just for ref on natural posts(cedar/ locust/ osage, cypress?, even white oak). let them cure for at least a year before burying. the sap (as well as the outer sap wood) hastens the break down. also note that termites will use locust as a channel to wood sills, etc. but sounds like you're on the way to new fence: good luck!