Rottotiller gearbox guard

/ Rottotiller gearbox guard #1  

Agrantina

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3240 GST
Some may have seen my earlier post - my new rottotiller-- Bought a new tiller last week and getting out of the truck I broke the gear box guard. 20 degree weather made the plastic guard like glass.. Well I made a metal one today for about $8.00 instead of the $38 dollar plastic replacement.. Not to bad for someone with no press or sheet metal tools..:)... I may be a jack of all trades but I am master of none.. but i think it will work.. sratched it a little of the left side getting it on.. should have waited until the paint was 24 hrs dry.. Now I am ready to till something :confused2:

Before and after pics

AndyG

Attachments

• IMG_1592.jpg
    IMG_1592.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1593.jpg
    IMG_1593.jpg
    538.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1594.jpg
    IMG_1594.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 103
   / Rottotiller gearbox guard #2  
Some may have seen my earlier post - my new rottotiller-- Bought a new tiller last week and getting out of the truck I broke the gear box guard. 20 degree weather made the plastic guard like glass.. Well I made a metal one today for about $8.00 instead of the $38 dollar plastic replacement.. Not to bad for someone with no press or sheet metal tools..:)... I may be a jack of all trades but I am master of none.. but i think it will work.. sratched it a little of the left side getting it on.. should have waited until the paint was 24 hrs dry.. Now I am ready to till something :confused2:

Before and after pics

AndyG

Good job.

My Bush Hog RTC48 has a metal 'bolt-on' guard like the one you made.

/ Rottotiller gearbox guard
I looked at alot alot of tillers last night on the net and about half have metal and the other plastic... Just figured metal would be better. Now the question is why the guard on tillers?? My rotto cutter and a lot I have seen dont have a guard... so why is it important on a tiller?

AndyG

/ Rottotiller gearbox guard #4  
I looked at alot alot of tillers last night on the net and about half have metal and the other plastic... Just figured metal would be better. Now the question is why the guard on tillers?? My rotto cutter and a lot I have seen dont have a guard... so why is it important on a tiller?

AndyG

Nice job. :thumbsup:

My Taylor Way rotary mower had a guard similar to the one you built. It was a pain to grease the U-joint, so I took it off. :ashamed:

I had assumed the guards serve as protection in the event of catastrophic failure of the clutch plates and/or to prevent entanglement in the PTO yoke. But I'm just guessing.

Steve

/ Rottotiller gearbox guard
Thats what I am thinking also and since most cutters are way back from the tractor no guard but the tiller is right there so maybe thats the reason for the tiller guards?? After that thought I said metal one :thumbsup:

AndyG