Rough week in the country.

/ Rough week in the country. #21  
I never lose any sleep or tears for dogs or cats that get hit by my vehicle while being operated legally on a public roadway. If you don't love your dog, cat or whatever enough to keep it out of the road then you don't deserve their companionship anyway. And in case you're wondering, I don't stop and look all over the place for the owner either. Made that mistake one time and never again.

Welcome to the country! Life is cruel out here.

/ Rough week in the country. #22  
I never lose any sleep or tears for dogs or cats that get hit by my vehicle while being operated legally on a public roadway. If you don't love your dog, cat or whatever enough to keep it out of the road then you don't deserve their companionship anyway. And in case you're wondering, I don't stop and look all over the place for the owner either. Made that mistake one time and never again.

Welcome to the country! Life is cruel out here.

I lose more sleep for animals that don't have proper owners than people not using their brain.

If a dog chases your car, good chance if you stop they won't have a clue what to do other than stand there and bark.

Like kids, animals don't get to choose their owners.

I've been lucky enough that I've only nailed on deer in my entire life.

/ Rough week in the country. #23  
:thumbsup: That dog sees you as prey and most likely wants to harm you or even kill you if given a chance. In my book that means: Game on! No quarter given. If that dog choses, by instinct and poor ownership, to enter a fight to death, so be it. It's you or him.
Consider yourself lucky the car came along.
If not yourself, then consider the 10 year old kid or 80 year old grandma who might ride their bike down that road tomorrow lucky.

:thumbsup:
Agree completely. I've been bitten while bicycling and chased many times. No tears from me on this one.

/ Rough week in the country. #24  
I also have ridden bikes off and on since we moved to the country. I agree, you have done nothing wrong. It will sound harsh, but there is a dog nearby that I almost hope gets hit before it causes and accident. It chases me on my bike sometimes but never does anything. It also chases cars and comes charging out of its yard. Its really big and I often mistake it for a deer out of the corner of my eye. I already know one neighbor stopped and warned them years ago.

The guy left you a free game camera and deer stand. That was a nice way to welcome you to the area.

/ Rough week in the country. #25  
I've been lucky enough that I've only nailed on deer in my entire life.

I've hit so many deer that I reduced my comprehensive deductible down to zero from $100 because it was costing me a fortune in deductibles! One time I got a 2 for one...2 approximately 8 month old fawns. One died instantly the other needed some help...to die that is! Both went in the freezer and was the most tender venison I've ever had.

/ Rough week in the country. #26  
As for the dog, once the dog leaves its yard what happens is on the owner. So while I would feel bad about any dog getting hit by a car I would not see it as my fault.

As for the person who left you a free trail cam and tree stand.... take it down and post a note on the tree where it was found advising the owner where they can claim it. If your neighbor has the guts to come claim it, be gracious and give it back to him.... along with a discussion of where you both believe the property line to be and the fact that he is not welcome to hunt on your property.

If he does not come to claim it, when you see him in the future just ignore the fact that he did what he did. He got caught, feels bad about it and I bet it wont happen again.

/ Rough week in the country. #27  
Dogs that chase you are a pain when riding a bike. Then their dumb owners come out and start yelling - getting nothing done. A useful car would have been nice!

/ Rough week in the country. #28  
Haven't read everyone else's posts but I would have left a note on the tree where the trailcam was with a number to call to get it back. Maybe the neighbor doesn't know where the property boundaries are? Best to open and upfront about it to start out with anyways. If neighbor gets an attitude about it then eff him. Keep the stuff.

/ Rough week in the country. #29  
Owners who let their dogs run loose and chase people, bikes or cars on the public roads are just insufferable idiots. I would not feel responsible at all. I have been chased on a bike many times by vicious dogs, and would welcome a helpful car at those times. Your wife should keep riding.

/ Rough week in the country.
Your wife should keep riding.

I hope she does! :)

Thanks for the words guys, appreciate it. I really see it the same way, it's just hard, so many of us love animals and hate to see harm come to them, and it's just so stupid to live on the road and let a dog run around out there unattended. I mean, I put an invisible fence on 3000' of road "just in case" my dogs found there way out there (we're pretty far back). It's not that expensive, it would have been less than 300 bucks to fence (invisible) the entire yard where this happened. Just makes me so sad/sick. Ridiculous.