Rougher in 4WD, normal?

/ Rougher in 4WD, normal? #1  

wxboy

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2305
Recently when plowing I've noticed that there is a slight vibration when moving forward or backward when 4wd is engaged. I don't remember noticing this the last 2 seasons so I wanted to see if anyone else with a 2305 or similar tractor has noticed this. I feel this when going straight so it has nothing to do with turning and binding on dry pavement. It's kind of hard to explain what I'm feeling but basically the drivetrain feels noticeably rougher in 4wd than 2wd. I waited until I noticed this on a few storms before posting to make sure I wasn't imagining the issue but now I'm sure that it is rougher in 4wd. My 3 year warranty is coming up in a few months so I'm trying to figure out if I should have the tractor looked at or if this is normal.

/ Rougher in 4WD, normal? #3  
I would check the u joints in the front driveshaft. They are under a lot of stress when steering with the tractor in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement and can fail prematurely.

/ Rougher in 4WD, normal?
Tires are worn evenly but with only 100 hrs I'm not sure that any wear would be noticeable. I haven't checked tire pressure in a while but each time I have checked them all tires are always within 1 psi of each other.

/ Rougher in 4WD, normal? #5  
100 hrs on a almost 3 yr old tractor!!??? You need more seat time:D One thing you might try is swapping tires left front to right front and the same on the other side and that should tell you if it is in the tires or drivetrain. Tires I would not worry, drivetrain I would get checked out. This tractor sits ALOT it is possible to have flat spots develop on the tires. It could be more noticible in 4wd because the front tires are pulling. I always place my motorcycle on a lift for the winter because of this.

/ Rougher in 4WD, normal? #6  
I wouldn't think there should be any noticable difference between 2wd and 4wd. Sounds like a drive line or front end problem. If possible get it up on 4 jack stands and have someone run it in both 2wd and 4wd and see if you can hear,feel or see anything. Be sure and check the front axle fluid level.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Rougher in 4WD, normal? #7  
If you can still feel the vibration when driving on snow It's probably not the tires.

/ Rougher in 4WD, normal?
I don't think it's the tires because it feel like a roughness in the drivetrain to me. I have felt the bumpy ride of driving the tractor when it sat in cold weather and the tires had flat spots but this isn't that. I like the idea of getting it up on jack stands and running it because maybe I'll see something. I just can't imagine what could be wrong with the 4wd system with only 100 hours on the tractor and probably on a a few of those hours were in 4wd. I try to plow in 2wd whenever possible and only 2 4wd as necessary.

I did have to top off the front axle fluid at the 50 hr. service because it was low but it should still be up there because there is no sign of a leak on my garage floor.

Between this and the pto solenoid that appears to be broken I'm starting to lose my enthusiasm for this green toy.

/ Rougher in 4WD, normal? #9  
wxboy, while you have it up on the jack stands check by hand the front wheels and drive line to see if there is any noticable looseness.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Rougher in 4WD, normal? #10  
On my 2305, I can't tell the difference between 2 and 4wd going straight on dirt or crushed stone. A portion of my driveway is paved and if I forget and leave it in 4wd, on the paving it makes a growling sound with a noticeable vibration. (Kind of a reminder to put it in 2wd.)
It's been the same since new. (Aug. 05)