rounded bolt head-hydro drain plug

/ rounded bolt head-hydro drain plug #1  

aebsmithcreek

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5105 MFWD
hello all, i need some help here. while trying to drain the hydro fluid from my jd 5105 i found the plug must have been tightend with i one inch drive impact, couldnt budge it with a 3/8 turn handle and actually stripped the gears in the handle. rounded up a 1/2 socket and breaker bar and it just damaged the bolt head really bad. next i cleaned the burrs and managed to drive a socket one size smaller on and got my 1/2 impact, at first nothin happened at all but after holding steady pressure the socket started to turn!! i was elated for about 1/10 of a second, thats how long it took to realize the socket was turning but not the bolt. now i have a completely rounded bolt head that i cant grip with anything in my small arsenal. i live in the middle of no where and shutter to think of the travel and labor for the dealer to send a mechanic out to fight this thing out. any help will be much appreciated.

thanks to all.

earl.

/ rounded bolt head-hydro drain plug #2  
A Hammer and Good chisel may help you, Angle the Chisel towards the way it needs to loosen and hammer until you get the chisel dug into the plug, then nice firm taps, the vibration will usually do the work for you, Unless you have a welder then I would just weld a nut larger than the plug head onto it and bring it off, the heat helps when doing this,

/ rounded bolt head-hydro drain plug #3  
File/grind it square and put a pair of 10 degree vise grips on it, hammer the grips with a five pound hammer and move on...if I had a dollar for every time I had to do ruin a good fastener because someone over torqued it I could fill my truck...twice.

/ rounded bolt head-hydro drain plug #4  
Hey guy they acually make a socket for that very thing, And I cant think of the name. but its a socket that you drive on with a mallet, and then you add the impact driver. it's similer to an eazy out but for a bolt head. you can pick up a set at many auto parts store. I got my set at sears. hope this helps
david

/ rounded bolt head-hydro drain plug #5  
They make a wrench for round steel. It's called a pipe wrench.:laughing:

/ rounded bolt head-hydro drain plug #6  
The tool your looking for is a "strip socket". At least that's what i have seen them called. Irwin makes a really good one. So does Craftsman. Might be a good solution if your not comfortable with a chisel or don't have room. Also I have found that if you have a helper tap on the socket to keep it seated they will work pretty well.

Chuck

/ rounded bolt head-hydro drain plug #7  
They make a wrench for round steel. It's called a pipe wrench.:laughing:

Exactly. No need to go off searching for specialized tools when you probably already have exactly what you need, a pipe wrench.

/ rounded bolt head-hydro drain plug
thanks to all, i already tried the pipe wrench and the head is to shallow to get a good bite so the wrench wants to roll, it would probably work had it not been over torqed. i will go today in search of a set of bolt grips and some good punches and chisels,all mine are el cheapos and break at every use. i really like the idea of welding another nut to it but i aint a good out of position welder and am afraid i will make matters worse than they are. @Fixemall, i can relate to that. one of the best mechanics i know in my trade has but one flaw that ive seen, his theory is who needs a torqe wrench, just tighten it til your scared somethin's gonna break. i hate goin behind him because of it. i do my best to never use vise grips for any thing but clamping but in this instance i may make an exception, i'll have to buy a good set of those to cause mine are chinese from tractor supply.
i really appreciate all the good suggestions and will get back on it tonight after work and i am praying to God that i will have good news to post before i go to bed tonight.
thanks again.
earl

/ rounded bolt head-hydro drain plug #10  
i really like the idea of welding another nut to it but i aint a good out of position welder and am afraid i will make matters worse than they are. thanks again.
earl

If you are going to arc weld on a tractor like that, can't bearings in other parts of the tractor can be adversely welded by the welding process-it pits the bearings or something to that affect?? Maybe use a gas welder instead?