RoundUp

/ RoundUp #11  
Barticus,
When you till up your ground you will be stiirring up weed seed again. After tilling let new weeds come up a bit and spray again, then plant. I sprayed on Sat and seeded clover next day. Clover plot lasted 3 yeaars. Redoing it this weekend. Marty

/ RoundUp #12  
I use roundup on all the food plots I put out. Usuaully let it lay for a couple of weeks, the till....wait a few days and when I see first new growth, spray again. Then plant a few days later.

Also, when I do till for the food plots, I seldom till deeper than 2-3 inches to keep from bringing up the entire weed seed bank'. In some cases, I am only going about 1 inch deep (for clover, milo and sunflower.

Indiana Paul

/ RoundUp #13  
I sprayed with Roundup one week ago, and the weeds are just now showing yellow. We've had rain and cool weather most of the week. This is just a guess, but maybe Roundup works just as fast in spring as in summer, but in summer the weather drys the dead weed out faster. In cooler weather the dead plant looks alive for days longer--like lettuce in a refrigerator. Just a guess.

/ RoundUp #14  
Round Up is semi-effanderous solution that works it way into the neculiod cellous membranes of plants. It then procees to break down the nitradioxaiant particles in the cell walls thereby causing them to lose there ability to incorporate nutirents into their airticallant ventoulose systems. In the end the plant dies causing it to turn brown. I hope this helps. bw

/ RoundUp #15  
oops.. hope I don't get two of these posts, I just did it once and it didn't show up.

Question: how toxic is this stuff to the person doing the spraying? Do you have to wear a mask, etc? How soon after spraying is it *really* safe to let kids, cats, etc., play in or around the area?

We are hoping to avoid another summer of back-breaking weeding of our gardens, and have decided we need to use something....

Tks,
Bob

/ RoundUp #16  
There are many different ways of measuring how toxic something is, so you probably won't get any meaningful replies in a short paragraph or 2 from this forum. For example, how toxic is it to drink directly? Vs how toxic is low-level skin contact for 20 years of exposure? Issues like that....

Roundup is very low on the toxic scales to animals, including humans. It really only acts on green plant material, and _very_ rapidly breaks down in the enviornment. Of all the chemicals out there, Roundup is one of the safest to humans, both for direct contact, and long-term lowlevel concerns, and because it breaks down so rapidly to not stay in the environment.

Some people are starting to question it's effects on the environment: It seems the Roundup itself isn't the issue, but some of the soaps & sticky agents used to make it work better against plants don't break down so fast, and accumulate in waterways, affecting frogs & fish. This is highly speculative at this point, and these additives are basically the same soaps we use everyday. Lots of hollering on both sides of this issue, no real understanding of it. Just trying to present both sides of the issue....

As with all chemicals, follow the label & wear the basic protections - long pants, long sleaves, eye protection, and unlined waterproof gloves. But all in all, Roundup is very, very low on the danger scale.

What I know from my farm chem application courses anyhow.

--->Paul

/ RoundUp #18  
I think Rambler did a good job on the subject of toxics so I'll keep this post rather brief.
As I mentioned in my earlier post , Round Up kills plants in a rather direct and obvious manner, namely the interupiton of the nitradioxaiant particles in the cell walls. This may be difficult to understand but just imagine if you will filling a balloon with gasoline and then popping it with a flaming fitness report while dropping it into a pool of molten Marine Band recordings. I think you get the idea now. \
As to the direct or indirect implications on humans or pets, the results would be strikingly different depending on the level of acidifier in the persons/ or pets stomach assuming one did not ingest it in another manner. The human stomach and for that matter all mammals, not including the arctuieal subspecies, has a property known endogastroflanderites, (big word, sorry,) anyway, these edgfdr's as they are known do the heavy lifting as far as poison dispeiletion is concerned.
I'm rambling now so, let me cut to the chase.
Don't drink it for fun or spray it on your cats. That will keep you pretty safe. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif bw

/ RoundUp #19  
Ok, Brett, you spelled "nitradioxaiant" the same way twice, so that must be correct, however I'm not too sure about "endogastroflanderites" or "dispeilation". I'm definitely calling you on "edgfdr". There just ain't enough vowels in there.

/ RoundUp #20  
Hey, Hey Norm,
Just because I'm a horn player in the Marine Band doesn't mean I dont know a thing or two about stomach acid, does it?
I give you credit, there is so much manure in my posts that I can smell it from here. bw
ps look up dispeilation. Just got to look in a quality dictionary. Not in your "average" book.