Royally screwed by propane company - What can I do?

/ Royally screwed by propane company - What can I do? #11  
Also, get yourself a phone recorder and record all your conversations with this company.
Kentucky is a 1 party consent state, so you don't have to tell them that you are recording to make it admissible in court.

Aaron Z

/ Royally screwed by propane company - What can I do? #12  
Real simple, Small claims court. Even if it's $300.00. I once sued a company for $30.00, not a typo THIRTY dollars.

For me it's principal. Oh sure it cost me more in time and energy to collect, but the point is I won and they were forced to pay and I guarantee they will think twice before doing what they did to me with another customer.

I also sued a tractor repair facility. They quoted a price I signed and agreed to that price and at pick up time they wanted $250.00 MORE than what we agreed on. I refused and they would not release my tractor. I needed the tractor so I hired people to do the tractor work I needed while they held captive my tractor. I sued them for $3,500 or the amount I had to pay for tractor work.

They showed up in court stunned at the amount I was suing them for and at that time GLADLY agreed to charge me my original $500.00 repair fee.

Too late, the judge ruled in my favor and awarded me $3,500.00, plus no charge for the repairs in penalty for trying to screw me. They returned my tractor with a check the next day per the judge.

Do I hate suing people? Not as much as I hate being screwed by unscrupulous business people.

I like you already!!
As much as I hate what a lot of attorneys do for a living, I like keeping unscrupulous business people in line.

David from jax

/ Royally screwed by propane company - What can I do?
Looks like you may be in KY. If so, contact the Kentucky Public Service Commission: KY Public Service Commission
I agree with Eddie, take pictures of EVERYTHING (video is good too) and make a drawing of where everything is. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Aaron Z

Thanks for the link, but no go.

The PSC does not regulate propane gas service. You will need to contact the Attorney General's Office at 1-800-772-4636 regarding your complaint.

Matthew Rhody
Consumer Services

/ Royally screwed by propane company - What can I do? #14  
Not a bad idea...

You will need to contact the Attorney General's Office at 1-800-772-4636 regarding your complaint.

/ Royally screwed by propane company - What can I do?
They state flat out they do not help resolve disputes, only protect the public interest. I don't know how they could prevent what just happened from happening again.

It seems there truly is no oversight of propane companies. :(

/ Royally screwed by propane company - What can I do? #16  
They state flat out they do not help resolve disputes, only protect the public interest. I don't know how they could prevent what just happened from happening again.
It seems there truly is no oversight of propane companies. :(
Time for small claims court and/or the newsmedia then. I might be inclined (if you can afford it) to get setup with another company and sue these folks for any setup charges with the new company. These folks appear to be incompetent, crooks or both.

Aaron Z

/ Royally screwed by propane company - What can I do? #17  
Go see your local county attorney. What they did was theft.If they feel you owe money,they HAVE to take you to court,they can NOT just repo the tank!
If the crooked county attorney (most are) won't do anything,then I would try small claims.
It was a civil matter,but they did things the "Good Ole Boy" way,and now it's a criminal matter.

Last edited:
   / Royally screwed by propane company - What can I do? #18  
I cant really add much, just wanted to subscribe to see how this turns out.

I too would be furious.

A few more details though,

First: do you have reciepts that show how much was in the tank. Like when they "repo'd" the tank. Did they give you any paperwork then? possibly stating how much was left in the tank??? Did the officer verify what was in the tank??

Second: How long did you have left on your "lease" and how much did that cost you per year?

Third: how much did they charge you for line burial that they did NOT do??

Fourth: how much do they normally charge for leveling blocks?

Because IMO, if you go the small claims route, you are entitled to ALL of the above IF you can prove your case. Because you paid for the propane, BUT you have to prove what was in their. They could very easily say...." he wanted us to transfer to his new tank, but it was empty, so we loaded up and left" The line burial is pretty clear cut. They tried to charge you for work you can prove was NOT done. (provided you havent already burried it and can take photos). The lease...you should be entitled to that back, but you may have a contract termination fee or something that may void it. And the leveling blocks, that is just plain theft.

IF you prove your case, and have a decient judge, he may also award you extra for damages and wasting yours and the courts time. I have seen this done before. And it does make a business think twice next time.

Also...I may need some clarification But I am having a hard time understanding how you came to owe them money.

You say you prepaid for the Propane. So if you paid $700 for propane, they should have only put in $700 worth of propane in the tank. NOT $850 worth and then try to re-collect???

/ Royally screwed by propane company - What can I do? #19  
Time for small claims court and/or the newsmedia then. ...

I was thinking the news media as well. We have the local "Troubleshooter, Jimmy Bimini" (not his real name :laughing: ) who has a real spot on the local news and LOVE to find out this kind of thing and help out "the little guy" or Joe Consumer. Your first post has most of the info you'd need to send them to see if they were interested in helping out.

Best of luck!
-Mitch

/ Royally screwed by propane company - What can I do? #20  
Oh yeah, local news around here have runined several oil companies that were ripping oof customer. I bet you not the only one-too bad you can't find other customers that were stolen from by this company. Small claims court-you most likely have the receipt for the propane tank they took-maybe they are serialized, maybe not.